Hotel San José
Style Made-over motel
Setting Deep in downtown Austin
A magnet for music lovers and arty types, Austin's Hotel San José is a masterclass in stylish understatement with chilled-out charm on South Congress Avenue. This is a mellow hangout with retro bungalows and a leafy courtyard. You can borrow a bicycle, tinker on a typewriter or purloin a Polaroid – the extras here are a study in bohemia.
Need to know
- Rooms 40, including 14 suites.
Double rooms from $155.00, excluding tax at 15 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($155) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (from US$15).
- Facilities DVD and CD library, iPods stocked with tunes, free WiFi throughout, bikes for rental, typewriter and Polaroid camera for guests’ use. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, free bottled water and a minibar of gourmet treats including pistachios and cola gummies.
- Poolside The slim, rectangular pool in the courtyard has white banana seats dotted around for stylish poolside lounging.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible, subject to availability. Check-in, from 3pm.
- Children Welcome – travel cots are provided for babies, extra beds are US$10 a night and babysitting is available (book 24hrs in advance).
- Also Smokers can light up on the outside patio. Dogs are welcome too (as long as owners keep them close by and clean up after them), for $10 a day.
Food and drink at Hotel San José
- Hotel restaurant You have the perfect excuse for a lie-in here, since there’s no restaurant – breakfast is delivered to rooms in Bento boxes. There are six different options, including a choice of cold and cooked goodies. The champagne breakfast features strawberries and cream, French toast and a bottle of fizz.
- Dress code Pyjamas, shorts and surf Ts – nothing is too casual.
- Top table Your own plump pillows and duvet-draped bed.
- Last orders The bar is open from 5pm to midnight every day, and you can have breakfast delivered from 7am to 11am.
- Room service Your Bento-box breakfast and multi-snack minibar should compensate for the fact that you can’t order in.
- Hotel bar The Wine and Beer Lounge is a neat, cube-shaped space by reception. You can sit inside, but tables by the garden are a more bright and breezy affair. The courtyard’s simple granite floor is studded with chunky wooden chairs, benches and communal tables, designed for dawn-till-dusk discussions. At night, the fire pit is lit, the pergolas twinkle with lamps and musicians play alfresco – on Wednesdays, house DJ Waxploitation draws in the crowds. Rock ’n’ Reel events are equally popular, teaming live music with a movie under the stars.
Hotel San José 1316 S Congress Ave, Austin, Texas 78704
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel San José
Two complimentary drinks in the bar
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The spacious Courtyard Suites have lofty ceilings, large arched windows overlooking the pool, cow-hide rugs, vintage BB King and Bobby Womack posters, and vivid red and orange accents. Room 50 has a tempting day-bed, positioned by the window and dressed with vintage cushions. For a quiet, secluded stay, book up one of the Grand Suites, located at the back of the hotel near the garden. If you’re going to book a Grand Standard, go for Room 44, which has its own patio by the courtyard.
Sheet music and a guitar for impressing guests during impromptu jams; a dog-eared Penguin Classic to enjoy in the courtyard.
Ask front desk to organise a massage, manicure or pedicure for you.