Style Camel-coloured contemporary classic
Setting Chocolate-box North Cotswolds village
Provençal-style furniture, pristine paintwork and crisp White Company linens all lend this spacious cottage modern-day luxury. Windfall Cottage has sprawling gardens and an orchard, along with resident hens and ducks. And bring your own brood – there’s a baby suite, a week’s worth of games and gadgets and all the essentials (cots, baby monitors, sterilizers etc), so you’ve all the more room in your case for fripperies and frivolities – driving gear, high heels and dinner-party duds. You also have cute Beckford village with a deli and pub on your doorstep and the rest of the Cotswolds to be explored beyond...
Need to know
- Rates information £1,225–£1,825 a week (£2,150 over Christmas). Short breaks start from £480.
- Ideal for Three couples, or extended families with small children as it is entirely baby- and toddler-friendly.
- Sleeps Six adults in three double rooms plus there's a baby suite.
- Property style Green oak, timber frame and Cotswold stone comprise this architect-designed contemporary-but-cosy country cottage.
- Grounds The large wraparound sandstone terrace and patio lead you to the lawns adjoining the orchard, where hens and ducks wander through the fruit trees.
- Minimum hire Three nights (Friday–Monday).
- Children The master suite has its own adjoining baby suite – properties don't get more baby friendly. There are plenty of toys and children's books and a play area. More...
- Booking process A 30 per cent (non-refundable) deposit is taken upon booking, with the remainder due eight weeks before your arrival. The property may also take a damage deposit of the same amount (this will be refunded within 21 days of departure). A £30 charge applies for changing a booking or making a cancellation.
- Also Leave your pets and cigarettes at home. The owners have a mini fleet of cars that you can rent out.
Bedroom 1: There’s a king-size bed and a freestanding slipper bath in the room, with a separate WC and basin behind a stylish frosted glass door.
Bedroom 2: This room has a double bed and an ensuite bathroom.
Bedroom 3: The master suite has a king-size bed as well as a chaise longue, and an impressive, spacious open-plan bathroom with tiled wet room as well as a freestanding boat bath.
Baby suite: Leading off from the biggest bedroom’s bathroom is the baby suite, which has a big cot, a soft chair and even a toy box.
- Kitchen The fully-fitted oak kitchen and dining area is a cool cream expanse – spacious, understated and perfect for sociable meal preparations. As well as an Aga, there’s an electric oven and ceramic hob, a dishwasher, fridge and freezer and microwave.
- Living room The living room is designed with stylish lounging in mind, decked out with a squashy floral-print sofa, a tan leather armchair and pouffe, and French doors which open out on to the patio. In terms of gadgets, there’s a flatscreen TV, DVD player, HiFi system and iPod docking station.
- Dining room The dining area is a cosy white space within the open-plan kitchen.
- Gardens The large patio has a barbecue, so you can enjoy alfresco feasts.
- Private parking There is ample free parking in front of the house, and it’s gated and secure.
- Other The large garage contains table football and various children’s toys, prams, even a Spacehopper and a ball pit.
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Windfall Cottage
A bottle of champagne chilling in the fridge, 10 per cent off classic car rental, and 10 per cent off a catering or private chef package
In the know
Eating and drinking
On arrival, there is a bottle of bubbly in the wine fridge as well as gin, vodka and cordials. There is a fresh supply of eggs from the ducks and chickens you can see out of the window, along with a scrumptious cake. All the basics are provided, plus some – milk, tea, coffee, jam, marmalade, Marmite, olive oil, salt and pepper, and various herbs. But if cooking sounds too much like hard work, the owners can arrange for a local catering company or a private chef to whip up meals for you.
The cottage is given a thorough clean in between stays. Additional cleaning and fresh laundry can be arranged (for an extra charge).
All the bedrooms are tricked out with a flatscreen TV, CD/DVD (Blue Ray) player and DAB radio. The TV in the lounge has satellite and sky.
This baby-loving property is stocked with equipment for tiny tots, including cots, high chairs, toys, books, DVDs and games, stair gates, sterilizer, baby monitor, toilet training seat, potty and more.
Eschew expensive brogues and high heels for comfort and practicality – walking boots and wellies will see you through any damp patches. The cottage is snug and warm, so don’t overdo it on the big knits and chunky layers.