Style Artistic Elizabethan townhouse
Setting Cotswolds' darling Tetbury
This four-bedroom former 1940s doctor's surgery couldn't have more character. Owned by acclaimed photographer and artist Maria Stengard-Green, and her husband Nigel, the Old Surgery is a celebration of both old and new. In the hallway, framed 16th-century deeds hang across from a gilded antique typewriter mounted on the wall; meanwhile in a cosy sitting room Wii and PS2 beg to be taken advantage of. This cheap-chic self-catering stay is clearly the ideal holiday home for an extended family or group of friends of all ages. Historical charm emanates from this Elizabethan townhouse’s uneven oak floorboards and an imposing stone fireplace in the small-scale, yet grand, dining hall in the centre of the house. 21st-century flourishes are apparent in impressive modern artworks and a cool monochrome bathroom. But this rental house’s biggest luxury isn’t anything flashy or fancy – the prime Cotswolds location in Tetbury is what really wows.
Need to know
- Rates information A week off-season is £1,400 (January to March; October to December, excluding holidays and half-term); Christmas/New Year week £2,400, high season, £1,795 a week. Weekends £995 year round, Mon–Fri, £1,025 year round.
- Ideal for Groups of friends or family, stylish celebrations, art lovers.
- Sleeps 8 in four bedrooms but you could fit up to 10 including children.
- Property style Elizabethan townhouse.
- Grounds Small walled courtyard at the back of the house where you can enjoy a barbecue.
- Minimum hire Three nights with some flexibility, check-in from 5pm.
- Children Babies and toddlers are welcome and well catered for. The dining hall is equipped with two highchairs. A trusted local babysitting service is available on request. When the sun is shining, Tetbury is teeming with outdoor activity – horse riding, paint balling and go-karting are great for the adventurous types. More...
- Booking process Smith deposit taken when you book. 50 per cent of the fee on booking, balance due four weeks before arrival; cancellation fee on a sliding scale. 50 per cent deposit, with final payment settled no later than 12 weeks before arrival. Cancellations: four weeks prior to arrival, the fee is non-refundable; more than four weeks prior to arrival, a scaled percentage will be refunded. Damage deposit £1,000.
- Also Well-behaved pets can come too. They can’t go on the furniture, and an extra deposit is required. No smoking in the house.
Bedroom one: this is a master bedroom-standard double with a walk-in wardrobe and a dressing room and a lovely pitched-ceiling ensuite bathroom.
Bedroom two: this sweet twin room has a beamed ceiling.
Bedroom three: there's a small double bed and also a single bed which would suit two single friends or parents with a young child.
Bedroom four: this huge loft suite at the top of the house is the proper master bedroom. As a sense of the scale, the life-size cow hide rug is only a small patch of the beige carpet.
- Kitchen This flagstone-floored kitchen has all the country cottage charm, with a range cooker and all the mod cons (microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, etc). There's a breakfast bar for a couple of guests to eat at.
- Living room The downstairs sitting room has a sofa and chairs and also beanbags. There's unmetered WiFi throughout the house to fire up all your internet needs. There's also a 32-inch flatscreen LCD TV as well as a Wii and PS2 and a shelf of DVDs.
- Dining room The front door takes you into a reception area, or vaulted drawing room, with a glorious fireplace where the main dining table seats up to 10 guests.
- Private parking You should be able to find somewhere out on the street. There’s a free car park not such a long walk away.
- Other There's a walled courtyard at the back of the house where there's a German beer hall table and bench which seats ten. Wonderfully peaceful and with the local church's steeple in view it's a great place to enjoy a barbecue, thanks to a fire pit.
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Old Surgery
A pack of handmade Highgrove Soaps: Rose, Tuberose, Honey and Orange Blossom
In the know
Eating and drinking
The kitchen will be stocked with all your tea/coffee essentials, and you can also pre-order prepared meals of all your comfort-food favourites. There's also a fire pit in the courtyard if you want to have a barbecue. If you would rather someone else did all the hard work, they were closely with excellent caterers Cooper d'Abo www.cooperdabo.com.
Weekends not at all; after three days they will refresh the property every other day for a small fee; you can pay £60 a session to have it cleaned in full at any time.
There's unmetered WiFi throughout the house to fire up all your internet needs. As for feeding your technophilia, not only can you take advantage of the 32-inch flatscreen LCD telly in the downstairs lounge, but there's Wii and PS2 and a shelf of DVDs. Two bedrooms also have TVs, and there are two portable iPod docks.
There are two fires ready laid for your arrival and a stack of logs (careful you use the ones from the basket not the ones for show up the wall); if you're not such a dab hand with your kindling, these can also be refreshed for a small fee.
Your walking boots, golf clubs and polo stick. See activities.