Style Eco-friendly farm
Setting North Cornish coast
This stretch of north Cornwall is nature in the raw – a wild coastline of bright sunshine, crashing surf and rugged cliffs. When Alan and Tessa Rose bought these 18th-century barns made from Cornish slate and stone, there wasn’t even running water or electricity. By ingeniously harnessing the elements they had, they created two eco-friendly houses that are still uncompromisingly luxurious. Even the heated swimming-pool is solar powered. With chic interiors of soft colours and natural materials, Mesmear is perfect for family holidays and relaxing rural retreats.
Need to know
- Rates information Weekly rates range from £800 to £1,350 self-catering in the Calf's House, £1,000–£1,800 in the Barn and between £2,000 to £3,600 in the Mill.
- Ideal for House parties, birthday celebrations and relaxing 'fluffy robe' weekend breaks.
- Sleeps The Mill sleeps 6 adults and 4 children; the Barn and the Calf's House both sleep 4 people.
- Property style Barn conversion
- Grounds Mesmear’s two properties are surrounded by child-friendly landscaped gardens and 160 acres of farmland
- Minimum hire Weekly hire during school holidays, Christmas and Easter. Short breaks are available at other times of the year.
- Children The Mill has a children’s room with plenty of toys and games. There are no stair gates but the garden is safe and enclosed. Highchairs and cots are available on request. Walkie-talkies are also provided. Children’s menus can be arranged in advance. More...
- Booking process Smith deposit taken when you book. 15 per cent is due when booking. The balance is due 12 weeks before arrival. A £400 security deposit is requested. There are charges on cancellations with less than five months notice and no refund on cancellations less than 28 days before arrival.
- Also Smoking is not permitted inside the houses, and pets are not allowed. All the sculptures and paintings are by local artists and some of the art is for sale, so it’s worth asking if you spot something you really like.
- The Mill and the smaller, separate Barn are ideally rented together. If you're only booking one of the properties it's worth considering that The Mill comes with a range of additional benefits and services, particularly in the summer months.
The Mill: most bedrooms are versatile and can be adapted to twin or double rooms but the children’s cabin room (with porthole door) is not ideal for adults. There are no TVs in the bedrooms. Bedroom 1: the nautically-themed children’s cabin room has a bunk bed, a single bed and an additional truckle bed. Bedroom 2: double bed with freestanding roll-top bath in the room and a separate shower. Bedroom 3: double or twin bed room. Bathroom: separate wet room with bath and shower. Bedroom 4: double or twin room leading off the sitting room on the first floor. This room has an en suite shower room. The Barn: Bedroom 1: double room with en suite bathroom. Bedroom 2: double or twin room. Bathroom: separate shower room.
The Calf's House is the less Smithy of the cottages. It's worth knowing that the second bedroom has a bunk bed.
- Kitchen The fully equipped kitchen includes a cooker, microwave, coffee machine, dishwasher, fridge freezer and honesty bar. The dining table in the Mill is large enough for 10 adults, and Lucy the cook prepares breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner.
- Living room All three properties have a flat screen TV, DVD/CD player and a stylish wood-burning stove. In the Mill there is also a snug with TV, beanbag and a workstation with Internet access.
- Poolside Guests are very welcome to use the owners’ pool during the day from May to September; it’s surrounded by a terrace with sunloungers.
- Gardens Each property has a small, enclosed patio space with garden furniture and barbecues; ideal for small children. The properties also share landscaped lawns.
- Private parking There is private parking for about five cars next to Mesmear.
- Other The separate games room contains table tennis, air-hockey, table football, TV and a telephone. There is also an outdoor shower, which is an invaluable addition for guests struggling out of their wetsuits after a day swimming or surfing.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Mesmear
A local Cornish Seboni Spa Essentials gift for every couple
In the know
Eating and drinking
In the Mill: If you are renting this luxury lodge or two properties together, Colin the chef will prepare breakfast, a home-made cake for afternoon tea and a three-course evening meal. A selection of wine is included with dinner. Home-made children's suppers can also be prepared and served separately. You can fit 10 adults around the dining table. Most of the beef and lamb is reared on Mesmear farm itself. If you rent the Barn or Calf's House they are self-catering, however Colin, the chef can prepare homemade food on request that is delivered to your door. There is an honesty bar with beer, wine and spirits in all the houses on the farm.
Provided at no extra cost: the Mill is cleaned every day; the Barn and Calf's House are cleaned midweek.
There are iPod docking stations, and you can play CDs on the DVD players in the sitting rooms.
Bed linen, towels, bathrobes, toiletries, bath salts, beach towels, hairdryers, buckets and spades. There’s a DVD library, phones and Internet connections in the sitting rooms.
You can hire wet suits and water sports gear in Polzeath, but if you bring your own there’s a separate drying room at Mesmear.