Style Spruced-up schoolhouse
Setting A nice slice of Wensleydale
Situated in Wensleydale, in North Yorkshire's portion of the famous Dales,Yorebridge House hotel offers cool, country-pile atmosphere amid beautiful rural surroundings. A former schoolhouse that's now home to 11 individually designed rooms, as well as a gourmet restaurant and ridiculously cosy bar, it's a laid-back and unstuffy retreat with a liberal sprinkling of style.
Need to know
- Rooms 11, including one suite.
Double rooms from $250.56 (£167), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£167) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities In-room spa treatments, gardens, DVD library, free WiFi in the ground floor of the main building. In rooms: B&O flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, free bottled water. Four rooms have hot tubs.
- Check-out 11am, but potentially flexible, availability permitting. Check-in, 3pm.
- Children Welcome: Yorebridge can provide cribs (£10) or extra beds (£25) as required, has a babysitting service and listening equipment, and the restaurant is totally tailored to tots. More...
- Also There's a two-night minimum stay at New Year. Two terraced rooms in the schoolhouse can accommodate dogs.
Food and drink at Yorebridge House
The hotel dining room's open kitchen is where head chef Aaron Craig works his magic on local, seasonal produce to produce dishes such as stuffed baked duck egg and smoked eel on brioche or chargrilled fillet of Wensleydale beef with creamed baby cabbage and black potato rösti. The dining room itself is very twinkly and romantic, but extremely unpretentious – think dark-wood tables, potted palms, cream woodwork and chocolate brown walls – and is flooded with light from its French windows throughout the day. Make sure you opt for the five- to six-course set menu on at least one night of your stay. Lighter fare is on offer in the bar from lunchtime.
- Dress code People don't stand on formality up in Yorkshire – wear what you like.
- Top table Choose the row of tables overlooking the garden (they're also the furthest away from the kitchen) for a romantic meal.
- Last orders Dinner's served 7.00pm–9.30pm, bar meals are available till 9pm. The bar closes its doors to outsiders at 11pm, but residents can carry on tippling through the night.
- Room service Full restaurant and bar menus are available during opening hours.
Yorebridge House’s small and sweet bar consists of a tiny chamber situated next to the dining room. With just four bar stools and a cosy sofa, it certainly encourages you to strike up conversation with other residents or locals popping in for a pint of its excellent regional cask ale.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Yorebridge House Askrigg Road, Bainbridge, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, DL8 3EE
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Yorebridge House
A glass of champagne each on arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We love the contemporary, Caribbean-flavoured St Jean room, which comes with bright and breezy walls, a pale-wood four-poster bed, outdoor hot tub, and wickerwork and seashells dotted around. We also like the Moroccan-inspired Rahmoune, which has an antique window frame as part of the bedhead, and Orient-inspired Nishiki, which has a private terrace and hot tub. Greenwich – the large suite up in the house's eaves – is also well worth a look. It comes with two free-standing roll-top baths, for dual bathing without having to share water.
Stout walking boots and a good-quality anorak are must-packs – the weather seems to change every five minutes up here, which is one reason why the Dales are so green.
Yorebridge is at the epicentre of the great Yorkshire outdoors and the Dales are a rambler's paradise – you can go fishing on site, and if it involves guns, horses, canoes, arrows, wellies or crampons, chances are the hotel can arrange it for you nearby.