Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa
Style Rustic Modernism, casual luxury
Setting Beachside, yet at the heart of village life
The only boutique hotel in the historic main square of Trancoso, Bahia, Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa has become the stay of choice in this beautiful seaside village. The Brazilian elite, not to mention style-savvy visitors from the US and Europe, flock to its 10 private casas all year round, drawn by its stunning beachside location, dedication to sustainable tourism and the sort of interiors that wouldn't look out of place in Wallpaper* or Elle Decoration. Its owners have got the balance between luxury and laid-back style just right.
Need to know
- Rooms The hotel is comprised of 10 individual casas.
Double rooms from $446.57 (BRL989), excluding tax at 13 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (BRL989) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include a buffet breakfast. There's an additional service charge of 10 per cent.
- Facilities Spa, gym, library, DVD library, laundry service, in-room spa/beauty treatments. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, king-size beds, free WiFi, dining table, air-conditioning, minibar, Natura toiletries.
- Poolside Shaped like a lake and surrounded by a huge wooden deck, the hotel pool, constructed from thousands of green aventurine quartz stones, is big enough to do laps. It is gloriously surrounded by tall trees, coconut palms and flowering plants.
- Check-out Midday, though this can be flexible depending on occupancy; earliest check-in, 9am (again, depending on occupancy).
- Children Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa is very much an adult's playground. However, children are allowed, and, for those under age five, the hotel provides cots at no extra cost and can arrange babysitting.
- Also Personal chefs are available on request, and will prepare a meal of whatever you desire to be served to you in your private casa. Ask when you check in.
Food and drink at Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa
The hotel restaurants may not have been given names, but they're certainly not an afterthought. Chef Bernardo Silva serves up fresh, locally sourced Brazilian cuisine – moqueca of lobster and king prawns, escondidinho of dried shredded meat, onion, chives, creamed cassava and coconut milk – in the hotel lounge or beside the pool. The atmosphere is informal and laid-back.
- Dress code The more casual the better. Flip-flops and shorts are perfectly acceptable – indeed, closed-toe shoes are positively frowned upon.
- Top table Getting a good table is never a problem. However, in the evening, we recommend going for a table overlooking the beach, at which you can enjoy views of sand and sea, not to mention the two adjacent hammocks, while you eat.
- Last orders Dinner is served till around 10pm, and caipirinhas are served in the bar until the last guests shuffle off to bed.
- Room service Guests can order from a full menu between 7am and 10pm.
Overlooking the pool area, the bar (again, it has no name) has been constructed from local wood using traditional techniques. An old fishing boat serves as the drinks counter, and a thatched roof covers those who come here to sip the signature pineapple-and-ginger caipirinhas till the wee small hours.
Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa Praça São João Batista (Quadrado Histórico) Trancoso, Bahia, x
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa
A bottle of champagne in your room on arrival. Members staying five nights or more will receive a special Smith cocktail each, and a free candlelit meal for two on the Quadrado.
Current offers at Uxua Casa Hotel & Spa
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We love the two-bedroom Gulab Mahal casa, which comes with a private tiered garden, a cushion-filled mezzanine, three bathrooms (two of them in the open air) and views of the Quadrado from every angle. It also houses Indian-style stained-glass and carved-wood features, which date back to the 1970s ‘hippie invasion’ of Trancoso. We also adore the Casa do Avores honeymoon suite, which is built from recycled wood and is situated high in the trees.
Bring your iPod – all casas come with docking stations, and you can download as many bossa nova tunes as you like thanks to the free WiFi.
The hotel’s Almescar Spa is home to Bahia’s first Vichy treatment suite, where warm water pours down from carved eucalyptus trunks and therapies use indigenous local ingredients like almescar and cacao. Private cooking classes taught by the hotel's chefs, or even Trancoso locals, can be held in your casa's kitchen.