The Crab & Lobster
Style Contemporary rusticity
Setting Pagham Harbour bird sanctuary
This 16th-century inn on the West Sussex coast has classic rustic-chic looks and a fantastic location overlooking Pagham Harbour and the bird sanctuary. The Crab & Lobster is cosy, welcoming and has all the ingredients you need for a perfect pub stay: flagstone floors and fireplaces, squishy leather sofas, great food, and super-comfy rooms to retire to.
Need to know
- Rooms Four; plus a self-contained cottage.
Double rooms from $183.29 (£121), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£121) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast. Two-night minimum stay at weekends. (Rates increase on bank holidays and during Goodwood events).
- Facilities Small garden, car park. In rooms, flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player iPod dock sound system, free WiFi and broadband internet connection, L'Occitane toiletries.
- Check-out 11am; earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Children stay in parents' rooms for £30 a night; babysitting can be arranged with two weeks' notice (£10 an hour).
- Also Pets unfortunately cannot be accommodated. A three-night minimum stay applies during the Festival of Speed and the Goodwood Revival, as well as over Bank Holiday weekends.
- Hotel closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Food and drink at The Crab & Lobster
- Hotel restaurant With flagstone floors and specials chalked on blackboards in trad-pub fashion, the Crab & Lobster's Modern British menu focuses on locally landed fish and locally reared meats. Look out for the Selsey crab and sardines caught on the south coast.
- Dress code Casual cable-knits and sailing clobber.
- Top table Snag a table by the inglenook fireplace.
- Last orders The pub is open 11am–11pm; food is served 12–2.30pm and 6pm–9.30pm (9pm on Sundays).
- Room service None, but there are tea and coffee trays in rooms, and minifridges with complimentary mineral water and milk. Guests' breakfast is served in the main restaurant, 7.30am–9.45am weekdays; 8.30am–9.45am weekends and bank holidays.
- Hotel bar Perch with a pint on dark-leather stools at the polished-pine and brick bar, or cosy up with a bottle of wine in a pair of leather bucket chairs.
The Crab & Lobster Mill Lane, , Sidlesham, Chichester, West Sussex, Chichester PO20 7NB
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Crab & Lobster
A bottle of house wine on arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Standard rooms 2 and 3 are smaller, but have large baths with rain-showers. The Deluxe rooms are slightly larger and have lovely views over Pagham Harbour; room 1 has a bath tub; up in the eaves, wooden-beamed room 4 has a walk-in shower (but may not be the best for beanpoles, thanks to its low ceilings).
Binoculars for birdspotting; vintage finery for Goodwood Revival; jelly shoes for walking along West Wittering's pebbly beach.
Self-contained Crab cottage has two double rooms and can be booked for £220 a night Sunday to Thursday or £250 a night at weekends (add £30 a night for each guest after the first two).