Style Old-world opulence
Setting Salamanca shopping streets
Hotel Unico in Madrid is a grand old palace on the city’s exclusive Golden Mile, where the food is fine, the floors are fancy and the design is decadent. This one-of-a-kind vision of marble mosaics, swirling red sculptures and elaborate chandeliers would make Louis XIV proud.
Need to know
- Rooms 44, including six suites.
Double rooms from $238.39 (€185), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€185) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Breakfast is extra (€28 each).
- Facilities Spa, gym, gardens, free WiFi throughout and a library of books and DVDs. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod, minibar and Rituals bath products.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Cots are free; extra beds cost €97 a night. A local nanny can be booked for babysitting.
- Also There are ground-floor rooms adapted for wheelchair users.
Food and drink at Hotel Unico
Ramon Freixa’s twice-starred restaurant is the star of the show: expect crazy concoctions such as duck burger with green mustard ice-cream, idiazabal cheese and crunchy bread, rice with cuttle fish and blood sausage, and red mullets with peas, asparagus and caviar. The surroundings are just as elaborate, with mirrored floors, patterned marble, hand-painted plates, bronze curtains and Moorish ironwork. It’s popular, so make reservations when booking your stay. The same chef is also behind the breakfasts.
- Dress code Lavish labels to match the opulent atmosphere.
- Top table Beneath the Baroque mirror on the ceiling to people-watch with stealth.
- Last orders Breakfast is from 7.30am until 11am during the week, and from 8am to midday at weekends; lunch is served between 1.30pm and 3.30pm; dinner is from 9pm until 11pm.
- Room service Food can be ordered any time, night or day.
The Fora Garden Bar serves cocktails and tapas in summer, and is less formal than the restaurant; a live band is in residence on Thursdays. The garden itself is open year round, but bar service is only available during the warmer months.
Hotel Unico Claudio Coello, 67, Madrid, 28001
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Unico
A welcome drink each, free parking and 20 per cent off in the spa
Offers at Hotel Unico
In the know
Our favourite rooms
For peace and quiet, book a Unico King Courtyard or Unico King Garden – each of these rooms has high ceilings and grand windows, with a view based on whatever name you go for. The Grand Suite is the blow-out option, the biggest and best, with a lounge and Jacuzzi; its guests get fetched from the airport.
Wide-brimmed straw hats, sharp suits and super-size sunglasses to blend in with the well-heeled crowd.
Ask for a tailored massage at the hotel’s Wellness Suite.
From the Guestbook…
Arriving anywhere quite late after an evening flight always leaves me a little bit discombobulated. Our super grumpy taxi driver did not help matters but everything was soothed and...more