Hotel Tugu Bali
Style Arty tropical eclectic
Setting Surfy Canggu Beach
A luxury pioneer on the shores of chic surf spot Canggu Beach in south-west Bali, vibrant Hotel Tugu Bali's romantic mood is enhanced by the owner’s world-class collection of museum-quality Indonesian antiquities. Seductive thatched suites are dotted among lush gardens and lotus ponds by the Indian Ocean, alongside a rich mix of elegantly ethnic restaurants.
Need to know
- Rooms 22, including 19 suites, two one-bedroom villas and one two-bedroom villa.
Double rooms from $309.92, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($310) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, but include private airport transfers, a welcome drink and massage, flowers, tropical fruit and mineral water in-room, and daily high tea at sunset with local delicacies.
- Facilities Free WiFI throughout, spa, gym, library wtih books, CDs and DVDs, snooker table, gardens. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, minibar, complimentary bottled water, own-label eco-friendly toiletries, English-language newspaper.
- Poolside The charming beachfront palm-fringed pool offers sun and shade in equal measure to guests lounging on padded chaises.
- Check-out Noon; check in from 12pm too. When the resort is not full, management will accommodate early arrivals and late departures.
- Children Baby cots are provided for free but must be requested in advance; extra beds for older children can be added for around £29. Hotel Tugu Bali offers a children’s’ menu of Western and Asian options. More...
- Also Rates include private airport transfers, a welcome drink and massage, flowers, tropical fruit and mineral water in-room, and daily high tea at sunset with local delicacies. Smoking rooms are available.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
Food and drink at Hotel Tugu Bali
- Hotel restaurant Tugu Bali boasts five restaurants but guests are equally encouraged to take their meals in numerous romantic nooks around the verdant grounds or dine privately in their chambers. Bale Sutra is a 300-year-old Chinese temple reconstructed on- site where guests dine on Chinese Peranakan specialities in a flirtatious crimson dining room. The artwork inside the ornately carved Bale Puputan commemorates 19th-century Balinese heroes and the eatery is renowned around Bali for its multi-course Grand Rijstaffel dinner. The chef at the more relaxed open-air Waroeng Tugu learned to cook classics such as nasi goreng from her grandmother, and shares her secret family recipes with guests. Wantilan Agung attracts diners who prefer Western fare, served under a dramatic pitched roof. Sunset Beach is the go-to spot for Tugu’s full moon barbecues known for their signature grilled snapper with caramelized fennel and vegetables.
- Dress code Guests run the gamut here from Asian honeymooners in matching Polo jerseys to Versace-clad Europeans but most dress beach-casual by day, covering up with smarter attire to dine at night.
- Top table Nothing beats dining on the beach but gourmands should also set aside a night to try the 12-course rijstaffel rice platter on Bale Puputan’s enormous marble-top dining table.
- Last orders The restaurants are open until 11pm, as is the bar.
- Room service Available non-stop. Wake up to tropical fruit, European coffee or Balinese jamu herbal remedies. There's something deliciously decadent about gorging in your room on Bali’s famous spiced duck bebek betutu, 12 hours in the roasting.
- Hotel bar You’ll find the Keraton Bar inside the high-ceilinged Wantilan Agung Ballroom, making it a convenient after-dark spot to rev up or wind down. Expect lounge music of the Buddha Bar variety but no DJ and a generous drinks list that spans the signature Canggu Romantic (made with vodka, lime juice with a splash of ginger ale) and the Guavatini (a magic mix of vodka, guava and lime juice topped off with liquid sugar).
Hotel Tugu Bali Jl. Pantai Batu Bolong - Canggu Beach, Bali, Indonesia, 80361
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Tugu Bali
A one-hour massage for two; or for three-night stays, either a one-hour signature Gemulai Penari massage or a private torch-lit dinner for two on the beach
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Dedari Suites are best for beachcombers who can roll out of their four-poster and past the roomy plunge pool straight onto the sand. Spa junkies may prefer the upstairs wood- paneled Ranjang Suites under the traditional Balinese thatched roof because of their ensuite massage treatment tables and sunken round bath for two. Couples who want more room for romance should consider the 2,100 square foot red-themed Puri Le Mayeur villa, dedicated to the love story between the Belgian painter Adrien-Jean Le Mayeur de Merprès and local Legong dancer Ni Polok, or the Walter Spies Pavilion filled with the Dutch artist’s own memorabilia in art deco surroundings.
Even if you’re a novice, consider packing a pair of board shorts to try riding some waves. Sturdy shoes (plus some good mosquito spray) are also handy for exploring the splashy surrounding paddy fields.
The hotel boutique is well known around the island as a destination for serious antique shoppers. Consider bypassing shops around Seminyak and Ubud to take advantage of the Tugu owner’s keen eye and fair pricing.