Lower Zambezi, Zambia
Style Under African skies
Setting Banks of the Zambezi
This luxurious lodge is set on the banks of the Zambezi in an area that abounds with savannah wildlife as well as hippos and crocodiles. Each of Chiawa Camp's tented suites has a private game-viewing deck, indoor and outdoor shower, and a roll-top bath from which you can watch the magnificent natural spectacle.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine tented chalets.
Double rooms from $1448.28, excluding tax at 16 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($1,448) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include all meals and drinks, day and night bush drives, game viewing by boat, and park fees.
- Facilities Rooms have roll-top baths, outdoor showers and private decks.
- Poolside There is an unheated plunge pool with sunloungers.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible.
- Children Over-eights are welcome (extra beds are $325 a night). Exceptions can be made for younger children on request.
- Also There is a library, well stocked with books on the local wildlife.
- Hotel closed 15 November until 15 April.
Food and drink at Chiawa Camp
- Hotel restaurant Breakfast is at sunrise. A light lunch is served at 12pm and dinner is served at 8.30pm, subject to game-watching activity. The table d’hôte menu features Afro-European fusion food.
- Dress code Practical. Anything zebra-print would be a mistake.
- Top table All tables have fantastic views of the river.
- Last orders Normally 10.30pm, due to the sunrise start the following morning. Drinks are included in the price of the rooms.
- Room service Any meals can be cooked to order and served in the rooms, given sufficient notice. Each room has a two-way radio to order food with.
Chiawa Camp Chiawa Camp & Old Mondoro, Lower Zambezi, Zambia, 10101
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Chiawa Camp
A private candlelit dinner floating on the Zambezi
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All the chalets have similar facilities and locations, but the Honeymoon Classic tent has a double roll-top bath. Superior Safari Tent I is the most private; its bathroom, on a raised timber deck with thatched roof, has a very outdoors feel. Luxuriate in the bath with voyeuristic monkeys, baboons, elephants and antelope for company!
Bring suitably robust footwear for bush walks. A 200mm telephoto lens is the minimum required for decent wildlife photos.