Style New York import
Setting Charming Chesham Place
Belgraves hotel brings Brooklyn to Belgravia – exposed brick walls, casual-cool doormen and a sexy glass-fronted fire are just a few of the New York flourishes. The setting, too, is pure London luxury: an elegant corner of moneyed Sloane Square.
Need to know
- Rooms 85, including 14 suites.
Double rooms from $406.93 (£269), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£269) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Breakfast (à la carte, with options such as porridge, crumpets and mushrooms on toast) is not included.
- Facilities Gym, WiFi (£15 for 24 hours). In rooms: LCD TVs, iHome docks, Sferra linens and bathrobes, Ren bath products.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible on request. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Welcome. Cots can be added to rooms; children are welcome in the restaurant until 7pm and items from the main menu can be adapted for little ones. High chairs, booster seats, colouring books, bibs and children's cutlery can be borrowed.
- Also Smokers will love the ‘cigarden’, a petite outside space where guests can puff away on vintage Habanos SA cigars (sold in the bar). Unsure where it is? Look for the Sue Webster sign. There's an ice-cream sundae station for Smith Jnr.
Food and drink at Belgraves
The menu leapfrogs lovingly between fish and beef: try Orkney scallops with hedgerow garlic butter or share a rib of Moyallon Hereford beef for two. The Philippe Starck-designed dining room continues the hotel’s New York aesthetic: exposed brick walls, comfy curved seats and a smart monochrome patterned floor.
- Dress code Blend New York nonchalance with a dash of British elegance: denim and silk; gingham and tweed; Converse and tea frocks.
- Top table Sink into one of the deep banquettes by the window and watch the well-heeled world go by.
- Last orders You can wet your whistle between 12 noon and 1.30am. Breakfast is served between 7am and 11am; the restaurant takes its last orders at 10.30pm.
The mezzanine bar is headed up by Nick Strangeway, who navigated the bars at Cecconi’s and Hawksmoor towards success. It’s no surprise then that the cocktail menu is so assured, with concoctions such as Eton Blazer (Beefeater gin shaken with pomegranate and redcurrant syrup, lemon juice and Grant’s Cherry brandy, topped with soda water) and Somerset Treacle (cider brandy, maple syrup, apple juice and house bitters). The bar area is relaxed: soft mushroom-coloured seating, vintage furniture, bold artworks, Persian rugs and biscuit-coloured bookshelves stocked with matching grey and beige tomes.
Belgraves 20 Chesham Place , London, London, SW1X 8HQ
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Belgraves
Smith members can claim free WiFi (usually £15 for 24 hours)
Offers at Belgraves
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Corner Suite 803 is a knockout: double-aspect sweeping views of London, a grand bed, bold artworks and a bathroom with a tub right by the window, so you can admire the city as you soak. The Penthouse has a sleek wet bar with plush ruby-red stools, a working fireplace, garnet-coloured sofa, a king-size bed, a marble bathroom and a guest bedroom.
Bulgari for Belgravia; an aristocratic dowager to take out for tea; picnic rug and hamper for the little leafy greens near the hotel.
You'll need a government-issued photo ID to check in, such as a passport or driving licence.