Style Hip historic villa
Setting Lush, leafy hillside
Il Salviatino – a ravishingly updated 15th-century villa high in the hills over Florence – has a museum’s stash of 19th-century frescoes, antique bath tubs and valuable artworks. Beautiful boudoirs are graced with oak floors, silver candelabra and fresh orchids, and there are two restaurants, a bar and a spa to explore.
Need to know
- Rooms 45 rooms, including 22 suites.
Double rooms from AU$600.26 (€457), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€457) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates €444–€2,900, including American-style à la carte breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, gym, library, 12 acres of landscaped parkland, free WiFi throughout, free shuttle service to Florence. In rooms: flatscreen TV, Nespresso coffee machines, minibar with complimentary mineral water; iPod docks available on request. Every bathroom has LED-lit rain showers with seats, and some have a Jacuzzi or antique bath tub. All guests are assigned a dedicated ‘ambassador’ to look after them during their stay.
- Poolside Open between April and October, the terraced pool area has three heated, cascading infinity pools filled with salty mineral water, overlooking a green valley and surrounded by scented roses and lavender.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible, subject to availability; after 4pm, you’ll be charged an extra night. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome, with free cots provided for three-year-olds and under. Extra beds are €75–€150. Babysitting costs around €70 an hour (book two days in advance). The restaurant has a kids’ menu, and there are floats at the pool.
- Also Diminutive dogs can come, too. Spa Il Salviatino is operated by Florentine perfumier and cosmetologist Dr Vranjes. There are five treatment rooms set amid rolling Italian gardens, specialising in aromatherapeutic relaxation and anti-ageing treatments.
Food and drink at Il Salviatino
Two: Le Serre has a formal feel, with just a cluster of candlelit tables and impressive portraits; or there’s relaxed La Terrazza, where you can sit outside – and at night, count the stars as you dine. The food at both is a reinvented take on traditional Tuscan fare. Crowd-pleasers include ricotta and spinach gnudi with sage butter, and almond tartlets with pecorino and pear sorbet.
- Dress code Honour local heroes, with Gucci, Pucci, Cavalli or Ferragamo threads.
- Top table La Terrazza has tables overlooking the Italian Gardens – you can even spy Florence’s Duomo in the distance.
- Last orders You can eat at any time, in either restaurant.
- Room service The 24-hour room service includes a selection of light snacks and dishes from both restaurants.
The bar is a long, smart space on the ground floor, manned by baristas as beautiful as the surroundings. Patio doors lead out on to the balustraded balcony, which has wonderful vistas.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Il Salviatino Via del Salviatino, 12, Florence, Tuscany, 50137
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Il Salviatino
A half-hour wine or olive-oil tasting session
Offers at Il Salviatino
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The spacious Salviati De Luxe rooms in the main villa feature exposed brickwork and striking half-moon windows. The Melodia, Tegliacci and Affresco Suites are grand and opulent, with restored fresco ceilings, imposing fireplaces and plump chesterfields. The Ojetti Suite has a dramatic sun room, the floor of which is the glass ceiling of the hotel’s tremendous main staircase, a private roof terrace and a Jacuzzi bath with a spectacular view.
Some Italian designer chic so you’re as stylish as your surroundings; trainers and swimwear for gym and spa; flat shoes for exploring Fiesole.
Il Salviatino has a regular shuttle service into Florence.