- Style Urbane five-star suites
- Setting Alpine church-side lane
Set in New Zealand's South Island, Queenstown boutique hotel The Spire is an ultra-modern hideaway that successfully combines high style with warm service. Hip, contemporary and comfortable, this sleekly designed sanctuary is one of our top tips for NZ. With just 10 suites and a characterful cocktail bar, it's the destination of choice for those with an eye for detail and an appreciation of stellar service.
Need to know
- Rooms 10 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $1007.26 (NZD1,217), excluding tax at 15 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast, champagne and chocolate on arrival, and airport transfers.
- Facilities DVD/CD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, DVD/CD players, Bang & Olufsen phone, minibar, pillow menu, L'Occitane toiletries, balcony.
- Poolside The Spire doesn't have a pool, but nearby Lake Wakatipu beckons.
- Check–out 11am, but there is flexibility. Check-in, 2pm, unless by prior arrangement.
Children Extra beds are $220 a night; cots are free of charge. Babysitting can be arranged with qualified nannies from NZ$15 an hour.
- Also Smoking is permitted on your balcony.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We especially love Room 6 for its pretty views of the church spire that gives the hotel its name, but king-size beds, luxe linens, stone-clad fireplaces, design classics and large private balconies feature in all suites.
- Packing tips There's great mountain biking around Queenstown, so bring your cycling gear. A Swiss Army knife could prove handy out in the wilderness, too.
- Also If you fancy a massage, beauty or spa treatment after indulging in Queentown's many outdoor activities, the hotel can arrange for a therapist to come to your room. If you're heading out to the lake, picnic hampers or packed lunches can be provided for eating al fresco (just give them 24 hours' notice).
Food and drink at The Spire
- Hotel restaurant No5 Church Lane restaurant and bar serves a tempting array of European breakfast options: mushrooms on toast, truffle-infused scrambled eggs and so on; from 4.30pm, guests can also order delicately flavoured Thai fusion food to accompany the bar's potent cocktails.
- Dress code This season’s luxe lakeside loungewear.
- Top table In the pretty conservatory, or by the fire on winter nights.
- Last orders The bar is open every day from 4.30pm and sees action from 5pm until late.
- Room service Take breakfast in your room or on your balcony; the hotel can order in take-away food at any time of the day or night, including burgers and pizza.
- Hotel bar Laid-back lounge music and soft lighting make No5 Church Lane, by the lobby, the ideal cocktail-sipping spot. Perch at the bar or at a table by the fire and enjoy a Stollen with modern Thai tapas.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details