One Royal Circus
- Style Neoclassical playboy mansion
- Setting Refined New Town crescent
Overnighting at boutique guesthouse One Royal Circus in Edinburgh is like staying at an impossibly cool friend’s townhouse – without having to be charming to the friend. This bed and breakfast (B&B in this case standing for ‘bed of roses and breakfast of champions’) has far more in the way of home comforts than the average city put-you-up, including an impressive salon, a baby grand piano, pool table and gym. Despite its obvious perfection as a party pad for friends, couples will be instantly at home (and putting their feet up on the Starck-style tables).
Need to know
- Rooms Five, including two suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $291.48 (£178).
- More details Rates include breakfast and drinks (but not premium spirits). There's a two-night minimum stay at weekends and throughout August.
- Facilities Gym, Bonzini Babyfoot table, pool table, baby grand piano, library of books, CDs and DVDs, free WiFi. In rooms, flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player (on request), iPod dock, Frette bedlinen, Arran Aromatics/L’Occitane toiletries.
- Check–out 12 noon, but flexible. Earliest check-in, 9am.
Children You’re welcome to bring the bairns: extra beds can be provided for £45 a night (beds or cots are free for under-5s). Babysitting is available with advance notice (£10 an hour), and there are books, PlayStations and games to entertain them.
- Also Rent the house exclusively and get the owners to organise your private party.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Each of the rooms is spacious, and bathrooms are all tricked out with Hansgrohe fittings by Philippe Starck. We love the two suites, which occupy the upper floors; those at the front have views over Royal Circus. The top-floor master suite can be made into a family suite with an interconnecting room featuring handmade bunk beds.
- Packing tips Preloaded iPod to dock in your room; killer heels for posing on the red-velvet Edra Tatlin spiral sofa while your other half mixes your martini.
Food and drink at One Royal Circus
- Hotel restaurant This B&B hotel (B&B in this case standing for ‘bed of roses and breakfast of champions’) has no restaurant, but your morning repast – be it Continental or full Scottish – will be cooked to order using the finest, freshest ingredients available. You’ll be spoiled rotten with fresh coffee, home-made pastries and delicious muffins.
- Dress code Come as you are and treat the hotel as a grand home from home.
- Top table Breakfast is served in a modern diner-style kitchen. Take your drinks into the drawing room, recline on a chaise longue and admire the beautiful original 1820s ceiling paintings.
- Last orders … schmast orders.
- Room service None, but help yourself to soft drinks, tea and coffee and an occasional glass on the house.
- Hotel bar You can stock the bar with your own favourite tipple or enjoy a complimentary drink on the owners.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details