The Thatched Barn
Style Born in a barn
Setting Rolling Blackdown Hills
Don’t let The Thatched Barn’s 13th-century facade deceive you – inside, this conversion is a thoroughly modern affair, with innovative light installations, a lofty, open-plan living space, and five boldly boutique double rooms. The Somerset setting is dazzlingly pretty, with plenty of pubs and pursuits on your doorstep.
Need to know
- Rooms Five, including two suites.
Double rooms from £1666.67, excluding tax at 20 per cent. The Thatched Barn is unable to accept payment by credit card.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£1,667) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Continental breakfast is included in the rates.
- Facilities Gardens with a little lake. Plasma TV and Bose sound system. In rooms: Bulgari bath products, dressing gowns and a stash of DVDs.
- Poolside There’s no pool, but if your friends are staying at the Manor next door, go for a dip in theirs.
- Check-out 3pm. Earliest check in, 12 noon.
- Children Little Smiths are more than welcome, but bear in mind that the property’s party-perfect styling means it has more of an adult than a family feel. More...
Food and drink at The Thatched Barn
No formal restaurant: instead, the owners offer an impressive variety of catering options, including formal dinners, champagne receptions, welcome suppers, barbecues, and a shooting menu. Ask in advance, and the fridge will be stocked with essentials and treats for your stay. There's also a galley kitchen that's small but perfectly stocked, kitted out with all the essentials, including a large range cooker. White units, black marble worktops and a monochrome tiled floor keeps things sleek; the original exposed wooden beams on the ceilings are a reminder of the building’s age.
- Dress code Cosy by day, cocktail-ready by night.
- Top table There's a glass breakfast table with seats for four by the windows. The open-plan living area has a dining area with a big table.
- Room service None - just let the owners know in advance if you want the house stocked with treats or extras.
There's no bar as such, but the owners can order in any drinks you want pre-arrival.
The Thatched Barn Gerbestone Lane, West Buckland, Wellington, Wellington, Somerset TA21 9PJ
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Thatched Barn
A luxurious hamper stocked with local goodies. Smith members can request early check-in or late check-out (subject to availability)
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The master bedroom has a mezzanine overlooking the living area, separated from the space below by a wooden balustrade. It has a black decorative bed frame and a feature wall of leaf-print wallpaper.
Smokers can light up on the terrace or in the garden. In October and November, guests can take advantage of the property's two-nights-for-the-price-of-one offer. There is a secret summer house tucked away in the grounds, perfect for a post-party snooze.