Style Cool castaway camping
Setting Tiny sandy cay
With just six luxury tents set beside the sea on a tiny tropical islet, Wilson Island may just be the most romantic campsite on Earth. Perfect for a castaway experience without compromising on comfort, the tiny resort is a back-to-basics paradise for nature-lovers, reef divers, and chilled-out beach layabouts alike.
Need to know
- Rooms Six luxury tents.
Double rooms from $1015.90 (AU$1,035), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (AU$1,035) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include all meals, alcoholic and soft drinks, and return boat transfers from Heron Island.
- Facilities Community tent, small library with board games and bocce. Tents feature private decks with armchairs and hammocks, and binoculars are provided. Each tent is allocated its own shower.
- Poolside There’s no pool, but there doesn’t need to be – wherever you are on Wilson, the ocean’s never more than a minute away.
- Check-out Check-in and check-out are timed to coincide with the twice daily boat launch to/from Heron Island (leaving Heron at 10am and 3pm each day).
- Children Over-12s are welcome, but extra beds are not available.
- Also Two-night minimum stay.
- Hotel closed 26 January to 28 February (bird-nesting season).
Food and drink at Wilson Island
The Longhouse – the open-air, sand-floored, vaulted-ceiling dining space has a raised timber platform where a 15-foot communal table plays host to chatty, lingering meals. Considering all cooking is done on two barbecues and a gas burner, the range of dishes produced is astonishing – barramundi with Vietnamese salad, beef fillet and blue cheese mash, Moreton Bay Bug and prawn salad…
- Dress code Barefoot beach glamour.
- Top table There’s only one – but at lunchtime you can take a picnic to the beach.
- Last orders The evening ‘dinner’ party kicks off at around 7pm with drinks and canapés on the beach, and often stretches long into the evening.
- Room service Not available.
A set of shelves in the Longhouse are lined with spirits, mixers, wines, beers and an extremely handy book of cocktail recipes for you to do with what you will. If you don’t trust your own mixology, the staff can whip up a to-die-for piña colada.
Wilson Island Great Barrier Reef, Wilson Island, 4680
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Wilson Island
A bottle of Champagne on arrival
Current offers at Wilson Island
Offers at Wilson Island
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each of Wilson Island’s six small square-ish tents is identical, differing only by location. The appropriately named Isolation is the most private, but also the biggest schlep from the wash house. Serenity is closest to the communal area, and has the best views and access to the sands. Tranquillity faces east, so can get a little windy.
Pack light – access to Wilson is by boat from Heron Island and you’ll be given a 20-litre ‘wet bag’ to stash your essentials in for the boat ride over; everything else will be kept on Heron for you.
Wind-up torches, insect repellent and snorkelling and reef walking gear are also provided.