The Swan Hotel & Spa
Style Family watering hole
Setting The great Lakes
The Swan Hotel & Spa near Windermere is the perfect place to pitch up at after a ramble through the lakes – the 17th-century inn is a back-slappingly welcoming joint with local ales on tap, fires in the grate and fine food on plates.
Need to know
- Rooms 52, including seven suites.
Double rooms from $163.05 (£108), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£108) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include full English breakfast.
- Facilities Espa spa and Leighton Denny nail bar, free WiFi throughout, DVD library, sheltered moorings and a gym. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock and Penhaligon’s products.
- Poolside The beamed pool room has a Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and colourful deck chairs dotted around the heated pool.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible for £50. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Cots for babies cost £10; extra beds are £20. The restaurant has a children’s menu. More...
- Also There are two ground-floor disabled-access bedrooms.
Food and drink at The Swan Hotel & Spa
- Hotel restaurant There are two options: the River Room and the Swan Inn. The former is in the old coach house. It’s spacious, with contemporary country styling, flagstone flooring and exposed beams. Breakfast is served upstairs, in the bright red, high-ceilinged former stable. The menu is varied: you can order excellent pizzas, Fell-bred rack of lamb or butter-poached chicken. The young head chef is fresh from Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saison, and cooking for Jane Seymour before that. The inn plays host to pubby lunches and informal dining.
- Dress code Weathered and waterproof for post-hike lunches in the Swan Inn; slightly more scrubbed-up in the River Room.
- Top table Fireplaces win hands down in both dining areas. Bag a booth in the River Room.
- Last orders Breakfast is 7am until 10am during the week, 8am until 11am at weekends. In the Swan Inn, food is served 12 noon to 9.30pm every day. Lunch is served on Sundays only in the River Room, from 12pm until 3pm. Dinner is 6pm–9pm.
- Room service Selected food and drinks can be ordered 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar The Swan Inn is just the kind of pub you'll be looking for after a day out on the Fells: rustic and cosy in equal measures, with a requisite roaring fire and a hearty, British menu. The bar has padded stools and leather armchairs. Other seating options include painted prayer seats at scrubbed wooden tables, or snug nooks and crannies lined with floral wallpaper. Settle in for a Cumbrian-bred burger and a pint of Dickie Doodle.
The Swan Hotel & Spa Newby Bridge, Cumbria, Cumbria LA12 8NB
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Swan Hotel & Spa
An Espa gift set
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We’d go for one of the three cheerful Junior Suites on the corner (Ruskin, Coleridge or Lonsdale). Each is bright and airy, with its own floral-based colour scheme, and view of the river. Families can’t go wrong with the Potter Suite, which has an extra bedroom, a supply of toys and a PlayStation 2.
A compass, windbreaker and woolly hat, and some Romantic verse to recite on cloud-lonely wanderings.
The Vu Spa has a selection of Espa treatments, starting at £30.