Style Vermeer in velvet
Setting Waterland town outside Amsterdam
20 minutes from Amsterdam, in the centre of the older Waterland town of Monnickendam, Suitehotel Posthoorn preserves a timeless air of homeliness. It’s hard to stop yourself sighing in contentment as the rich, sultry hues of the decor and soft, dusty light washes over you. Even contemporary touches – mirrored chandeliers in the restaurant, flatscreen TVs in the rooms – don’t spoil the warmth of the 17th-century illusion.
Need to know
- Rooms Five.
Double rooms from $193.87 (€150), excluding tax at 6 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €1.50 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€150) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Garden and terrace, DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player.
- Check-out 11am, but later is possible by prior arrangement, depending on availability.
- Children Kids under three stay free, older children stay for €37,50–€57.50, depending on the size of extra bed required.
- Also Pets can be accommodated for €17.50 a night. Amsterdam is a 20-minute taxi ride away, or there's a direct bus service departing from close by the hotel.
- Hotel closed First week of January.
Food and drink at Suitehotel Posthoorn
Champagne-coloured chenille seating, honey-hued chandeliers and butter-gold walls lend Posthoorn’s Michelin-starred restaurant an air of contemporary elegance. The chef produces excellent French cuisine and fresh seafood, such as lobster, is a speciality. Four-. five- and seven-course taster menus are on offer.
- Dress code Pearl earrings for the girls; velvet jackets for the gents.
- Top table Cosy up in a fireside spot in the winter months; in summer, the stone patio is great for alfresco dining and heaters make it an option in cooler months too.
- Last orders Meals stop being served at 22h, but there’s a snack menu available until 23h. The bar is open until 0h30.
- Room service Breakfast, snacks, drinks and – during restaurant hours – the full dinner menu can be served in your room from 9h to 23h.
Cigars and aperitifs have been enjoyed in the portrait-lined, wood-panelled herenkamer since the 17th-century – add your name to the aristocratic roll call who’ve sunk into the leather armchairs, and sup on the signature cognac cocktail.
Suitehotel Posthoorn Noordeinde 43, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1141AG
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Suitehotel Posthoorn
Breakfast in bed every morning of your stay
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Light trickles in over the window seats of the Sistermans Suite and twinkles off the antique mirrored headboard onto a silky buttercup-yellow bedspread – definitely a room to lose yourself in. Opposite the bed are twin porcelain sinks with silver mirrors above, creating a shimmering contrast with the sultry Waterland palette of the walls. The Admiraals Suite on the floor above has a freestanding bath, and the gentlemanly Persijnenkamer Suite on the top floor comes with a terrace looking out onto the Monnickendam rooftops and a hand-carved wooden sink.
A sketchbook and some watercolours to coax out your inner Vermeer.
From the Guestbook…
We found a lovely restaurant in Volendam called Van Den Hogan. Great service, fantastic food and prices in the middle range but worth it. Take the ferry to Marken from here and vi...more