Style Courting favour
Setting Californian ranchlands
If you think California is all about the ocean, you haven’t been to Rancho Valencia hotel in Rancho Santa Fe. Set inland from the Pacific, the cluster of Spanish-style bungalows is spread over 43 acres of flowering trees, manicured croquet fields, champion-staffed tennis courts and olive groves, with a spa and a top-notch restaurant at the core.
Need to know
- Rooms 53 suites.
Double rooms from $675.00, excluding tax at 8 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of 0.065% per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($675) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually exclude breakfast (from $15), but include in-room minibar, fitness classes and bicycle use.
- Facilities Spa, yoga pavilion, fitness centre, tennis centre, bocce ball court/croquet lawn, gardens, boutique, DVD/CD library free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, minibar.
- Poolside The family-friendly outdoor pool has a hot tub, plenty of loungers and a nearby bar. The indoor spa pool and hot tub are strictly for the grown-ups.
- Check-out 12pm, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
- Children Welcome. The hotel has cribs available free, and each room has a queen-size sofa bed for older children. There is also a welcome backpack for children, which includes a colouring book and stuffed toy. The hotel can arrange babysitting, from $18 an hour.
- Also Almost anything you forget can be found at the hotel's two boutiques. The main shop off the lobby has designer clothes and Alexis Bittar jewellery; the smaller shop in the spa has beauty products, gym gear and swimwear.
Food and drink at Rancho Valencia
The setting of Veladora, from chef Eric Bauer, nearly matches the excellent coastal-ranch cuisine. The dining area is split between a large, fire-warmed terrace and a Spanish-style dining room with an original Damien Hirst painting and valley views. The ultra-seasonal menu includes dishes like pastrami-spiced ono and roasted lamb, all served with local vegetables. The kitchen staff tend the hotel gardens, and make olive oil, honey and preserves.
- Dress code Southern California chic. Flowing dresses and crisp button-downs are ideal. Don't forget a light jacket, as nights can be chilly up in the hills.
- Top table Nab a spot on the terrace if the weather is warm. For the best views on cooler nights, snag a window table near the fireplace.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 7am until 11am, and lunch from 11 until 2.30pm. Dinner is between 6pm and 9pm. The bar opens at 11am each day and closes at midnight on weeknights, and 1am on Friday and Saturday.
- Room service A selection of dishes from Veladora is available 24 hours a day.
The polo-inspired Pony Bar is a cozy mix of overstuffed chairs, dark wood and worn leather, with patio dining that has perfect views of the nearby hot-air balloons. Open only to those 21 and older, the bar serves prosecco on tap and over 100 tequilas. The bar menu includes sirloin sandwiches, flatbreads and a charcuterie board.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Rancho Valencia 5921 Valencia Circle, Rancho Santa Fe, California 92067
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Rancho Valencia
Breakfast for two each day
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each room has outdoor space and an indoor fireplace for chilly nights. Olive Grove Suites have outdoor hot tubs. Room 140 has an outdoor dining area with leafy views and extra privacy. Rooms nearest the main building have better access to the pool.
Tennis whites: Rancho Valencia has a renowned tennis program, with immaculate courts, and an array of former pro champions as instructors.
The spa could be a destination all its own. Set off to the side, the building has its own adults-only pool, a Watsu treatment pool, a sauna and steam room and a fitness centre along with several treatment rooms for organic massage and facials. There is a spin studio, Pilates studio, and space for Zumba, boxing and TRX classes. The hotel offers several daily yoga classes, dawn hikes and other activities.