Number Thirty Eight
Style Elegant Georgian townhouse
Setting Clifton cliffside
An elegant Georgian townhouse, Number Thirty Eight hotel occupies an enviable spot on the edge of the Clifton Downs park. Inside, attention to detail – from the stylish interiors and intriguing art to some of Bristol’s best breakfasts – makes this former merchant’s home feel like your own personal hideaway in the city. Lounge on the cosy terrace overlooking the city rooftops or by the fireplace in the traditional but slightly quirky reception rooms; the attentive staff will furnish you with a cocktail in either spot.
Need to know
- Rooms 10.
Double rooms from $158.00 (£104), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£104) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually include full English breakfast.
- Facilities Terrace, DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV; Roberts digital radio; a minibar; free tea, coffee and cookies; and REN toiletries.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible. Earliest check-in, 3pm (check-in after 8pm can be arranged with notice).
- Children Over 12s only.
- Also As in many historic hotels, sound travels between floors: wearing heavy shoes in your room won’t endear you to your fellow guests.
Food and drink at Number Thirty Eight
None. Breakfast – Continental and full English, both made with the freshest local ingredients – is served in two elegant and airy reception lounges (or in the larger bedrooms).
- Dress code Bristol’s a laid-back city, even in elegantly renovated merchant’s townhouses. Wear your best jeans and you’ll fit right in.
- Top table In summer, sip cocktails on the outdoor terrace, overlooking the rooftops of Clifton. When it’s colder, take afternoon tea in one of the two reception rooms.
- Last orders Breakfast is served 7.30am–9.30am on weekdays and 8am–10am at weekends; enjoy afternoon tea until 8pm.
- Room service Room service is available 8am–8pm; dine on a traditional cream tea and sip tea and coffee, soft drinks or cocktails.
The hotel doesn’t have a bar as such but guests are given an invitation to the very cool speakeasy-style Hausbar a few doors down.
Number Thirty Eight 38 Upper Belgrave Road , Clifton , Bristol, Bristol, Avon BS8 2XN
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Number Thirty Eight
A free swimming pass for the Lido (usually £20 a day for non members).
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The West Loft Suite is the star at Number Thirty Eight, with its dark teal walls and a soak-worthy copper-toned bathtub for two (there’s also a powerful shower neatly tucked away in what at first glance appears to be a second wardrobe). The suite stretches the length of the townhouse, with views of Clifton Downs on one side and the multi-coloured city rooftops stretching into the distance on the other. The East Loft Suite has the same spacious layout and a more neutral palette.
Your camera. It doesn’t matter whether you prefer Brunel or Banksy: Bristol’s got plenty to photograph, and Number Thirty Eight’s ideally situated for exploring the city. There’s plenty to shoot in the hotel, too, from the choice antiques in the reception rooms to the modern art dotted around.