Malabar Escapes: Trinity
Style Modern-art deco
Setting Cochin’s cricketing Parade Ground
Once the Fort Cochin headquarters of the Dutch East India Company, the building that houses Malabar Escapes: Trinity may be 150 years old, but the interiors are as contemporary as it gets. Art deco-enhanced features and walls lined with quirky canvasses make the hotel seem like a slice of Miami life in South India. And, with only three bedrooms, privacy is assured – the ideal for escape from the Cochin crowds.
Need to know
- Rooms Three.
Double rooms from $215.55 (€167), excluding tax at 19.92 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€167) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Continental or South Indian breakfast.
- Facilities Ayurvedic spa treatments from Malabar House. In rooms: Air-con, TVs, DVD players, home-made toiletries.
- Poolside There’s a plunge pool big enough for a cooling splash about, and guests can use the pool at Malabar House too.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible, subject to availability.
- Children Under-5s stay free, and extra beds are available for older children (€30 a night). Babysitting can be arranged, with notice.
- Also Smoking allowed throughout.
Food and drink at Malabar Escapes: Trinity
- Hotel restaurant There’s nothing but breakfast offered on-site, but Malabar House, Trinity’s mother ship, is around the corner for delicious Indian-influenced Mediterranean cuisine.
- Dress code In India, it’s usual pretty casual all the way, but here’s the place to zhuzh up and show off your chic.
- Top table Get a table by the live musicians or the little pool.
- Last orders Around 10.30pm at Malabar House.
- Room service Drinks are available from 7am until 11pm; breakfast can be served in rooms.
- Hotel bar Again, Malabar House is your best port of call, 200 metres away.
Malabar Escapes: Trinity 1/658 Residale Street, Parade Ground, Fort Cochin, Kerala, 682001
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Malabar Escapes: Trinity
A complimentary bottle of wine
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The pricier Red Suite elicits the biggest gasps thanks to its extra mezzanine bed and sprawling yard-cum-shower. Its walls are lined with lithographs by ‘India’s Picasso’ MF Husain. Each room has a wall painted in the bold primary colour of the room’s name, as well as an open-air bathroom (complete with wooden Japanese sandals to make the hard stones of the floor easier on the sole). The Yellow Room has a platform bed and hardwood floors – Red and Blue are tiled in terracotta.
Something to keep the mosquitoes at bay; whether that’s insect repellent or chain mail is up to you.
You can borrow mountain bikes for exploring Fort Cochin and its surroundings, and the hotel has a six-seat speedboat that can zip you around the lake.