Style Eco-friendly Edwardian elegance
Setting Green and gold Brecon Beacons
An elegant Edwardian townhouse in lovely Llandeilo, Fronlas is an ecologist’s dream. Not only does it come with underfloor heating, eco-electricity, solar panels and organic mattresses, but it also manages to be colourful, comfortable and contained, boasting bold Colliss and Quinton mural wallpaper. The breathtaking views of the Brecon Beacons aren’t bad either.
Need to know
- Rooms Four.
Double rooms from $101.13 (£67), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£67) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include a home-cooked breakfast.
- Facilities Gardens, library, DVD library, bar, free WiFi, parking and concierge. In-rooms: flatscreen TV, luxury Abaca organic mattresses, integrated DVD/CD, free bottled water, rainwater showers and Ren toiletries.
- Check-out 10.30am, though this is flexible subject to availability, and is free of charge. Earliest check-in, 2pm, but this is flexible on request.
- Children As long as they’re above the age of three, children are welcome. Extra beds for children are provided at a cost of £15 per child, including breakfast.
- Also This is an eco den, so smoking isn’t allowed. Furry, four-legged friends are not invited. Two-night minimum stay when booking Saturday nights.
Food and drink at Fronlas
There’s no restaurant as such at Fronlas, but there is a breakfast area: a small, pretty room with four oak tables and frosted-glass swinging doors that conceal the kitchen. The hotel’s home-cooked breakfast champions local, organic produce and is a great way to fuel up for a day’s exploring. Feast on a full Welsh with plump, award-winning Graig Farm sausages and bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, free range eggs and baked beans in their own ramekin. Vegetarians can have an equally delicious non-animal version. Lusting after a lazy lie-in? You can have a Continental breakfast served in your boudoir.
- Dress code Hiking boots and kagouls – you’re in the Brecon Beacons, so you may as well look the part.
- Top table Whichever oak table has room for two.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 8am–9am, Monday–Friday; and 9am–10am on Saturday and Sunday. It’s well worth getting out of bed for – you can always get back in once you’ve feasted.
- Room service A Continental breakfast is available as room service from 7.00am–10am.
There is a relaxed guest lounge with a selection of books, magazines and papers, along with an honesty bar.
Fronlas 7 Thomas Street, Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire SA19 6LB
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Fronlas
A box of Heavenly chocolates, hand-made in Llandeilo
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Dau (Welsh for Two) is a purple haze of perfection, with its amethyst, aubergine and charcoal colour palette, bold floral mural and opulent headboard. A Scandinavian designer bed beckons invitingly, strewn with soft mohair and plump fabric cushions. The cappuccino-coloured walls and chairs provide an elegant backdrop to the jewel-bright splashes of colour, as does the muted stone bathroom. This room also offers the best views of the Towy and Brecon Beacons, so you can plan your walking route from the warmth and cosiness of your boudoir.
The obligatory hiking boots for scaling the Brecon Beacons sans blisters and a roomy cool bag for your lunch of local gourmet. If you’ve got a mountain bike, bring that, too.
Fronlas even has a bike and boot wash, a drying room and a lock-up area for your outdoor gear. The house can be hired as a whole, with room for eight adults and up to three children.