Domaine de Verchant
Style Revamped mansion
Setting Manicured vineyard
This grand boutique hotel is set on its own wine estate just outside Montpellier, in Castelnau Le Lez. Domaine de Verchant is a mansion made over by Raymond Morel into a luxury retreat with a deliciously decadent spa. The buttercup-yellow building dates from the 14th-century – within the old stone walls and weathered shutters, you’ll find marvellous mosaics and a sharply curated collection of European design classics.
Need to know
- Rooms 26, including nine suites.
Double rooms from $437.92 (€327), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€327) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, €25. Half-board can be arranged for a €54 supplement.
- Facilities Spa with sauna, hammam, Jacuzzi and gym, wine-tasting caveau, gardens, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD, Anne Sémonin or Hermès products. Some rooms have PCs and printers, and some suites have Bose sound systems and iPod docks.
- Poolside The free-form pool is encircled by lush lawns, pine and palm trees, and lots of vines. There's a heated indoor hydrotherapy pool in the spa.
- Check-out 12 noon. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Cots are provided free; extra beds are €42. The restaurant has a children’s menu, and breakfast is included for under-12s. A local babysitter can be arranged.
- Also Pets can come too, for €20 a day.
Food and drink at Domaine de Verchant
- Hotel restaurant The Pourcel twins are behind the elegant but unfussy gourmet restaurant. There’s a bien-être menu of grilled fish and so on, providing gastronomic back-up for the good work done in the hotel spa, but those on a more gluttonous track needn’t worry – there’s an à la carte offering of delicious Mediterranean cuisine.
- Dress code Effortless sleek chic, but note the gravel paths aren’t heel-friendly.
- Top table In warm weather, sit outside by the pool. Indoors, ask for a table by the arched glass door so you can gaze out at your luxuriantly landscaped surroundings.
- Room service There’s a 24-hour menu of light bites and drinks.
- Hotel bar A bright space with mosaic flooring, square grey tables and egg-shaped swivel chairs in olive-green leather, the bar is the perfect place to test-taste Verchant’s own wines, as well as sampling the fine single-malt selection.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Domaine de Verchant 1 boulevard Phillipe Lamour, 34170 Castelnau-le-Lez Montpellier
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Domaine de Verchant
A bottle of red or white from the hotel vineyard, and a 10 per cent discount on spa treatments and massages
In the know
Our favourite rooms
In the Neige d’Avril honeymoon suite, there’s a round bed with sheer white curtains, a dressing room and sitting area and an enormous hydro-massage tub. The suite also has a private terrace. We love the pool-facing Chinoise Suite, the Marie Charlotte Room for its hand-carved antique Indian door, and the Nur Mahal Room, which has access to the garden from its own terrace. La Forge apartment is great for families. It has lots of space and an upstairs lounge with views over the vineyards.
Your sleekest swimwear for the spa. And a wide-brimmed hat for shade while frolicking around the vineyards.
There’s an indulgent spa with a hammam, indoor heated pool that looks past its Bisazza mosaic onto the vineyards, and a personal trainer ready to send you jogging around the gardens. Couples can book the private area and have a steam room, balneotherapy bath and terrace to themselves. It's €20 a day to use the spa, unless you're staying in a Junior Suite or have a treatment booked.