Como Shambhala Estate
Style Well-heeled wellbeing
Setting Jungle wonderland
All bent out of shape? Follow in the beautifully pedicured footsteps of beauty editors and yoga aficionados worldwide and get yourself straightened out at boutique spa Como Shambhala Estate retreat in Begawan Village, a 15-minute drive away from Ubud. This highly rated flagship is renowned for its back-to-nature approach, and promises to soothe, relax, cosset and revivify – while surrounding you in totally tropical, thatched-pavilion, wall-to-wall waterfall luxury of course.
Need to know
- Rooms 30 suites, housed in five shared residences, plus five Retreat Villas and four two- or three-bedroom Private Villas.
Double rooms from $400.00, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($400) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast, wellness consultation, daily activities, spa facilities and a personal assistant.
- Facilities Spa, gym, yoga studios, Jungle Gym, tennis courts, library, shop. In rooms: LCD TV, DVD player, free WiFi, minibar, tea/coffee, Como Shambhala spa products.
- Poolside Each of the residences has its own pool and stand-alone villas have private pools. In most cases, they are infinity-edged, surrounded by decking and with beautiful jungle views. The spa, as well as a 25m lap pool, has hydrotherapy pools and jet beds.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Not really encouraged, but welcome in the private villas. Under-12s stay free; otherwise an extra bed in rooms costs $75 a night. Babysitting can be arranged ($10 a child an hour) and the kitchen can rustle up special meals for children.
- Also East meets West in the holistic Ojas spa, with therapies running the gamut from Ayurveda and anti-ageing to Thai massage and stress management.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
Food and drink at Como Shambhala Estate
- Hotel restaurant The tasty, locally sourced produce perfectly complements the wellness ethos. Kudus House serves Indonesian cuisine in a 19th-century Javanese villa; Glow is an all-day restaurant, with an open kitchen, offering local organic dishes with a healthy bent. At the Ojas spa and poolside, choose from a menu of snacks, sorbets and granitas.
- Dress code Cotton kurtas and Thai-style wrap trousers.
- Top table Glow’s pavilion structure means every mouthful is accompanied by eyefuls of the Ayung valley. In Kudus House, request a table on the veranda.
- Last orders 10.30am for breakfast; 6pm for Glow's all-day menu; 11pm for dinner.
- Room service A broad menu of healthy snacks and meals is available 24 hours.
- Hotel bar As if we'd let you poison your precious liver on a wellness retreat…
Como Shambhala Estate Banjar Begawan, Desa Melinggih Kelod, Payangan, Gianyar, Ubud, Bali, 80571
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Como Shambhala Estate
A Como Shambhala aromatherapy gift; GoldSmiths will also receive a 60-minute massage for two for five-night stays or more
Offers at Como Shambhala Estate
In the know
Our favourite rooms
They’re all pretty spectacular. The one-bedroom Retreat Villas – each with a private treatment room – are ideal if you’re planning on being a regular at the nearby spa. Of the Private Villas, Sukma Taru has valley views. The Principal Suites – one in each residence – are large and lavish. Go for the one in Tirta-Ening residence, which has a private entrance, terrace, waterfall pool, balé and Jacuzzi – oh, and a six-ton carved stone bath.
Every body-hugging, stretch-friendly piece of keep-fit kit you can lay your hands on, plus plenty of swimwear. Don’t worry if you forget your yoga mat, though: every room is supplied with one.
Como Shambhala runs a number of residential retreats throughout the year, with visiting experts holding courses and seminars.