Château de Saint Paterne
Style Fine food, fresh heir
Setting Cusp of the Loire
Château de Saint Paterne is a luxe and lived-in family castle in the gastronomic greenlands on the Normandy border. With fairytale looks, original stone walls and cosily classic interiors, this boutique hotel offers a chic stay with a huge history – King Henri IV once slept in these very rooms.
Need to know
- Rooms 10, including six suites.
Double rooms from $167.85 (€131), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€131) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€13).
- Facilities Tennis courts, CD, DVD and book libraries, in-room massage, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD, iPod dock, L’Occitane products.
- Poolside There's a heated outdoor pool in the grounds, open May–September.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible according to availability. Earliest check-in, 2.30pm.
- Children Extra beds can be added to all rooms, except Maréchal, for €15 a night (free if you book a family room). Cots for babies cost nothing. Baby monitors can be borrowed. Children’s dinner is served at 7.15pm. More...
- Also Pets can stay for €10 a night.
- Hotel closed From 20 December to New Year and between January and early March.
Food and drink at Château de Saint Paterne
- Hotel restaurant Owner Charles-Henry de Valbray is a self-taught chef who prepares a terrific set dinner, served around 8pm each evening. Typical dishes include beetroot and caper gazpacho with cucumber sorbet, veal tagine with dried fruits, and apricot puffs with rosemary ice-cream.
- Dress code Bohemian and chic, to match owners Ségolène and Charles-Henry.
- Top table Take your pick from the drawing room or dining room, out on the terrace if the sun is shining, or in the Moroccan-inspired games room, which can be decorated romantically if you’re planning to propose.
- Last orders Breakfast is available from 8.30am until 11am. Dinner is served at 8pm.
- Room service None.
- Hotel bar There’s an honesty bar in the salon, a grand space in which to nurse a nightcap and pretend you own the château, to the sounds of jazz, lounge and classical.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Château de Saint Paterne 4, rue de la Gaieté, 72610 Saint paterne /alencon
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Château de Saint Paterne
A bottle of pommeau – a Norman apple liqueur
In the know
Our favourite rooms
L’Orangerie is set apart from the château, a huge, self-contained suite with an open bathroom, vast wooden bed and one wall made from a 19th-century backdrop found in a Barcelona theatre. The château’s most modern room is the Chambre des Mystères, romantically secluded up two narrow flights of winding stairs. It’s chocolate-coloured, with bold red accents. For a stay that’s steeped in history, go for the Chambre d’Henri IV, where France’s first Bourbon king kipped.
Riding boots, helmets and a hearty appetite for cider and cheese.
In-room massages can be arranged on request, and there are bicycles to borrow.