Torre Fiore Hotel Masseria
Style Designer former fort
Setting The green hills of Pisticci
Within its brilliant-white brick walls, Torre Fiore Hotel Masseria’s chock full of both original historic features and designer modern luxuries. The owner, Mariana, who grew up nearby, has filled her hotel with relics of the area’s heritage – a set of antique keys in the one-time caretaker’s room, for example, or cow bells from the nearby farms – without sacrificing an ounce of contemporary style. Learn to cook with the chef, visit the beach at the nearby Ionian coast or just lounge by the infinity pool and gaze at the valley below.
Need to know
- Rooms 13.
Double rooms from AU$170.60 (€127), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€127) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, shuttles to the beach. In rooms: flatscreen TVs, iPod docks, wet bars, Fragonard toiletries.
- Poolside The u-shaped heated outdoor infinity pool has a waterfall and Ionian Sea views.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible on request. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome, but not particularly catered to. This masseria is designed with grown ups in mind.
- Also The hotel itself is smoke-free, but smokers can light up in the grounds. There's a three-night minimum stay in August.
- Hotel closed 1 November 2012 to 8 May 2013.
Food and drink at Torre Fiore Hotel Masseria
Experience authentic Basilicata cuisine in the hotel’s open-plan restaurant: most of the ingredients are locally sourced, and the menu emphasises traditional dishes with faultless presentation. Request a tasting menu if you can’t make up your mind, or try the doughy delights produced in the outdoor pizza oven. Menus change daily, but don’t miss the ricotta and Nutella tart if you spot it at breakfast.
- Dress code Leave your heels behind: historic floors aren’t ideal for stilettos.
- Top table In summer, take your meals outside – poolside service is available on request. In the restaurant, sit by the window to look out over the piazza.
- Last orders Daily buffet breakfast is served 7.30am–10.30am in the hotel’s breakfast room. Lunch and dinner, served 1pm–2.30pm and 8pm–10.30pm, can be eaten in the bar or restaurant.
- Room service Room service is available 7.30am–10.30am, 1pm–2.30pm and 8pm–10.30pm. Order anything you like from the restaurant’s daily menu.
Drinks are poured in the restaurant; try the Amaro Lucano, a Pisticci liquer. For local Basilicata wines, look to La Cantina, the hotel’s wine cellar.
Torre Fiore Hotel Masseria Contrada Terranova Snc, Pisticci, Basilicata, 75015
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Torre Fiore Hotel Masseria
A selection of sweet and savoury treats made by the chef, traditional local delicacies and a bottle of locally made liquer, Amaro Lucano
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each room is unique, thanks to the creative eye of the owner’s brother, and several incorporate symbolic features: the lines of marble between the terracotta tiles in Suite 3, for example, represent the Ottoman invasion of Basilicata. Suite 13, the caretaker’s former home, is perhaps the most epic: the tower has four turrets and two terraces for admiring the Campari-coloured sunsets over the valley and piazza. Suite 8 is the former chapel and retains a subtle religious theme, and in the three stable rooms you’ll find stirrups strung from the walls. The La Stall suite sleeps up to seven and has its own outdoor seating area.
Bring a light jacket in case you get chilly while watching the sun go down from the piazza.
Get a delicious taste of Basilicata culture at the hotel’s cookery classes. The chef doesn’t speak English, but leads by demonstration.