The Bull Hotel
Style Fresh prints, belle air
Setting Busy little Bridport
At The Bull Hotel, an 1850s coaching inn in food-fabulous Dorset, Regency elegance is meted out with a modern eye for detail in a relaxed gastropub. Stripped wooden floors and well-chosen antiques partner bold-print papers and fabrics by Zoffany and the Designers Guild in a vintage-chic decorative scheme that's guaranteed to win hearts and minds. Perfect for a relaxing weekend exploring the Jurassic Coast; good value and very family-friendly, too.
Need to know
- Rooms 19, including one suite and four junior suites.
Double rooms from AU$129.65 (£83), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£83) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast. On New Year's Eve, rates include a three-course gala dinner and entry to the Bull's masked ball.
- Facilities Courtyard, games room, DVD library. Space for bicycles to be parked. In rooms, deluxe bed, flatscreen TV, DVD player, Tivoli radio in some rooms, black‑out blinds, free WiFi, robes, slippers, Neal’s Yard toiletries.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible by prior arrangement; earliest check‑in, 3pm.
- Children More than welcome: cots, extra beds, baby monitors and toy boxes can all be provided (free for under-twos; £25 a night for three-year-olds and up). Babysitting, £10 an hour. More...
- Also Two-night minum stay at weekends (three nights over bank holidays).
Food and drink at The Bull Hotel
There are two. The main, neutral‑toned restaurant is informal enough to make you feel as though you’re dining at a friend’s house – a friend who’s extremely handy in the kitchen, mind. Marco Pierre White disciple Marc Montgomery’s seafood‑focused menu has netted press plaudits aplenty, and is on offer till 9.30pm. Out in the converted barn, the Stable is a less formal affair, with stone‑baked pizzas, pies and 37 varieties of cider on offer.
- Dress code Vintage English weekend wear.
- Top table On fine days, outside in the former stableyard; on cold ones, by the fire.
- Last orders Lunch is on offer between noon and 3pm, dinner from 6.30pm to 9.30pm in the restaurant; 5.30pmto 9.30pm in the Stable.
- Room service The full restaurant menu – plus anything bespoke that the chef can rustle up – is on offer during normal kitchen hours.
Venner Bar is named after a 17th‑century highwayman, but today the only shots you’ll hear are the ones being poured at the bar. On Friday evenings there are free canapés to kick off the weekend with. Last orders, 2am.
The Bull Hotel 34 East Street, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 3LF
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Bull Hotel
A glass of champagne each with dinner
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Red Four‑Poster Room (104) is the largest will kindle romance with its vividly hued walls, gorgeous bed and vintage roll‑top bath. The Flamingo Room (201) is a deluxe double with an antique Chinese wardrobe and boho day‑bed. We also liked the four newer rooms in The Stable (check out the original cast‑iron hoist outside 301 and 302); 303 has a roll‑top bath and big bay windows. The Petite Doubles are exactly that.
Kites, jelly shoes and frisbees for the beach.
The Bull Hotel has a bright and beautiful Victorian ballroom with a minstrels’ gallery that can be used for wedding parties of up to 110 people. They’ll also drop you off for walks if you need a lift. Massages can be arranged in advance – contact the hotel for details.