Hotel Can Cera
Style Royalty-ready Palma palace
Setting Secluded in the old town
Historic Hotel Can Cera in Palma has stood proudly in its place since 1232, taking a turn along the way as a 17th-century palace. These days, it’s a princely boutique hotel instead, with an elegant air, antique wooden furnishings and a host of stately salons.
Need to know
- Rooms 12, including seven suites.
Double rooms from AU$254.68 (€190), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€190) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually exclude breakfast (€16 a head for buffet or à la carte). Parking is €25 a day (plus VAT).
- Facilities Spa; six salons, including a library, TV room and lounge; free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV and Damana bath products.
- Check-out Noon. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Cots in rooms are free; extra beds, €60. The restaurant welcomes kids at all times, but there’s no specific menu. Staff will gladly see what they can do to cater for smaller appetites.
- Also The hotel is adapted for wheelchair users, with ramps and lift access to all rooms.
Food and drink at Hotel Can Cera
The restaurant brings the palace into the 21st-century with dark ceilings, hanging lamps and huge pieces of modern art on the walls. The food is Mediterranean, often coated and cooked in olive oil pressed at the hotel’s country house in Empordà. Expect dishes such as Iberian bacon with fried quail’s egg, and lobster and fish ravioli with saffron foam, as well as a tasty tapas selection and a few Asian fusion dishes. Wash everything down with a number from the proudly Spanish wine list.
- Dress code Stay smart to match your elegant 17th-century surroundings, or meet the homey vibe in crisp cottons.
- Top table Cool off in the shady courtyard if it’s sunny or watch the old-town life pass by next to the window indoors.
- Last orders The restaurant is open all day, from 8am until 10.30pm. The bar calls time at 11.30pm.
- Room service Cheese boards, soups and sandwiches can be ordered up, along with things to suit sweet-tooths, 24 hours a day.
There’s no separate bar, but drinks can be served in the restaurant or out on the courtyard. Snacks (croquetas, Russian salads and interesting – caramelised onion, truffle and sardine – omelettes) can accompany your G&T between 12.30pm and 10.30pm.
Hotel Can Cera 8 Carrer de San Francisco, Palma de Mallorca, Mallorca, 07001
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Can Cera
A bottle of Mallorcan red wine
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Room 5 gets our vote for its glass gallery, giving you both an exclusive view of the courtyard and a good deal of natural light. It even has secret access to the lounge, via an unassuming door. If a blow-out’s an option, go for the Suite Can Cera, once the palace’s main room and as grand as you’d imagine, with ornately carved wooden panels, high ceilings and an alcove-set four-poster bed, as well as a spacious terrace with hand-painted tiles.
Leave space in your case for impromptu art buys – the hotel has an ongoing exhibition with all works on sale.
There’s a simple spa with a sauna, Jacuzzi and hammam, as well as a treatment room where guests can head for a relaxing rose facial, head massage or all-over cocoa-butter mask.