Style Louche, luxe and legendary
Setting High on Sunset
This luxury hotel in Los Angeles is where the stars go to get their rocks off in private (or in public, if they court the limelight). Built in 1920 using blueprints drawn from a French castle in the Loire Valley, Chateau Marmont has a history as spectacular as its architecture, and a reputation as hedonistic as it is glamorous. The arts and crafts ‘castle on the hill’ is the epitome of all that’s great and good about tinseltown: glamorous, cool and utterly captivating.
Need to know
- Rooms 63, including 23 suites and 4 bungalows.
Double rooms from AU$458.42 ($435), excluding tax at 15.5 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($435) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, from US$19.
- Facilities Gardens and courtyard, pool, gym, music and movie library, free WiFi throughout, laundry, valet parking, concierge. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD and CD player, iPod dock, minibar with free bottled water, fluffy bathrobes and cashemere throws, Kiehl’s baths products.
- Poolside The chic oval outdoor swimming pool is heated and flanked by hide-me palm fronds and a perfect-for-posing patio.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible, subject to availability; late check-outs are charged at half-day rates until 5pm; full room rates apply thereafter. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Extra beds or cots – dressed in Frette baby linens, no less – can be added to rooms on request for US$30 a night. Nannies can be drafted in with 24 hours’ notice. More...
- Also Smoking is permitted in designated areas. Pets can be accommodated for a $150 non-refundable deposit. Parking is $28 a night.
Food and drink at Chateau Marmont
- Hotel restaurant Spotted Pig star Carolynn Spence turns out imaginative Med-infused Californian haute cuisine at the renowned Chateau Restaurant: we loved the roast bass and crispy rock shrimp risotto, and the black truffle arancini with wild mushrooms. You can also eat at the buzzy poolside restaurant during the day, people-watching beneath crisp white parasols and screened by lush foliage.
- Dress code Channel your inner diva and don vintage chic, rock-star cool or movie-mogul slick.
- Top table We love the soft velvet banquettes in the white plasterwork alcove at Bar Marmont; if you’re dining at the restaurant, make a beeline for a table in the garden to make the most of California’s balmy climate.
- Last orders Bar Marmont winds things up around 2am; the restaurant serves its last delicious dish at 11pm.
- Room service A full menu is available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Saucy saloon-like Bar Marmont mixes up Mr & Mrs Smith’s dream cocktail menu of perfectly poured, cleverly modernised classics: nuzzling up to the fresh peach bellinis are Plymouth gin Negronis and Ryka vodka, honey and fig puree concoctions. Gastro bar snacks cater to every appetite, from nibble-friendly cheese boards and heirloom tomato salads to tuck-right-in oxtail bruschetta and self-styled Damn Good Burgers.
Chateau Marmont 8221 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Chateau Marmont
A bottle of wine and a plate of cookies freshly baked by the chef
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Standard Rooms have garden views; go for one of the Suites – even the modest Junior Suites feel like mini-apartments with fitted kitchens but the Premier and Two-Bedroom Suites have large balconies or patios overlooking the pool. Hillside Bungalows offer the coolest mid-century decor, kitchens, working fireplaces, private street entrances and carports, and direct access to the pool from a private walled garden; Poolside Bungalows have more classical decor and are a shade larger (no private parking spot, though). Go totally A-list in Room 64, the two-bed Penthouse with wraparound terrace and polished marble hallway.
Red-framed Ray-Bans; iPhone chock-full of LA contacts; Liza Bruce bikini.
In-room beauty treatments and spa therapies can be arranged at the drop of a face-shielding sunhat – this is the land of the beautiful people, so you can expect your treatments to be top of the range. They’ll even arrange a personal trainer, should you so wish. If you’re bringing a stupendously large wardrobe of red-carpet dresses, supersized rolling racks (that’s a garment rail, if you’ve more Baftas than Oscars) can be added to your suite for US$30 a day.
From the Guestbook…
Spent an evening at the Chateau in a one bedroom suite (an interlude before heading on to themore