Fregate Island Private
- Style Where thatch meets tropicana
- Setting Rocky, remote and relaxing
A mere four degrees south of the equator, this tiny lump of granite seemingly floating in the Indian Ocean is a sensitively developed, verdant paradise, the likes of which you imagine when the theme tune to Desert Island Discs drifts from your radio speakers. Traditional-style villas made from native mahogany and topped with thatched roofs provide your base, while talcum-soft sand will fast become your foot exfoliator of choice. The whole island is taken up by Fregate Island Private, so absolutely everything is taken care of – all you have to do is turn up and flop out.
Need to know
- Rooms 17 villas (including 1 Presidential Villa).
- Rates Double rooms from $4313.42 (€3,156), excluding tax at 22 per cent.
- More details Rates include all meals and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Facilities Seven beaches, private butler service, spa, a wine cellar, boutique and gallery, library, fitness centre, CD and DVD players, Jacuzzi, complimentary WiFi, private gardens.
- Poolside Two large communal palm-fringed infinity pools. Each villa has its own private infinity pool and Jacuzzi, reached via a wooden staircase.
- Check–out Midday.
Children Junior holidaymakers, who are encouraged to use the Castaway Clubhouse, are welcomed into all areas – bar the bars, of course. There is a charge of €115–€345 per child, per night, if they are staying in their parents’ villa.
- Eco‐friendly Fregate Island operates a robust conservation programme to preserve the Seychelles' rich flora and fauna. Where possible, all ingredients used in the restaurants and the Rock Spa are grown on site.The hotel's on track for carbon neutrality too.
- Also A three-night minimum stay applies.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms If you and your partner want to make ‘intimate’ noises without being overheard, then ask for one of the villas furthest away from the main buildings. Villas One and Two are a good option for those with children, as they are set in gardens rather than on a clifftop. All villas come with a personal golf buggy, so you can zip around the resort in style.
- Packing tips Bring binoculars so you can catch a glimpse of the acrobatic frégate bird, after which the island is named.
- Also For guests who would like to finally take the plunge and learn how to dive, Fregate Island Private offers a PADI certification scheme.
Food and drink at Fregate Island Private
- Hotel restaurant There are two restaurants and two bars. Creole and African cuisine is served up in the main Fregate House restaurant, while barbecues are held regularly in the colonial-style Plantation House.
- Dress code Castaway chic – a floaty kaftan for her; cool linen for him.
- Top table A private table for two, complete with flickering candles, can be set up anywhere in the resort: we recommend dining on Anse Bambous beach or in the hotel's treehouse.
- Hotel bar Work your way through the cocktail menu beneath the thatched roof of the open-air Pirates Bar or whilst idling your toes in the sand at the Anse Bambous Beach Bar.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details