Style Grandly gardened moorland manor
Setting Rugged, rocky Dartmoor
Gidleigh Park hotel's rooms are spacious, luxurious, sumptuous; with the odd antique sitting alongside bespoke contemporary pieces. A delicious mix of velvet cushions, satin quilt and a leopard-linen covered wing chair just makes you want to bury yourself in Gidleighness and never re-surface.
Need to know
- Rooms 24, including the Pavilion, a self-contained thatched cottage.
Double rooms from AU$444.16 (£288), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£288) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include full English breakfast.
- Facilities In-room spa treatments and massages, 18-hole putting course, croquet lawn, tennis court, bowling green, free WiFi throughout, DVD library. In-room amenities: flatscreen HD TV, DVD player, Vi-spring mattresses, L’Occitane toiletries.
- Check-out 11am, but later check-out is possible by arrangement.
- Children Are welcome, with extra beds for £60 a night. Cots are free and there’s a variety of toys and games, including croquet, available. Babysitting can be arranged at £7.50 an hour, with notice. Under-eights are requested to dine beween 5pm and 6.30pm. More...
- Also The hotel has three dog-friendly rooms and four lit and heated kennels in the grounds. Smoking is not allowed inside.
Food and drink at Gidleigh Park
- Hotel restaurant Modern European cuisine-maestro, Michael Caines has helped the hotel’s glorious restaurant to bag two Michelin stars and a glimmering reputation. The gastro-licious food is accompanied by one of the most impressive wine lists in the British Isles.
- Dress code Up to the nines, but no further.
- Top table For the full old-world oak-panelled experience, take a seat in the corner of the Meldon dining room.
- Last orders Lunch is available midday to 2.30pm; dinner from 7pm until 9.45pm. The bar is licensed to serve 24 hours a day.
- Room service After breakfast, an array of light bites are available during the day (hot food is not served in rooms), and sandwiches and paninis can be brought to you after 11pm.
- Hotel bar Decorated in the appealing style of the Arts and Crafts movement, the bar and loggia are an elegant but informal place to enjoy afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks or an evening of fine wines and cocktails.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Gidleigh Park Chagford, Devon, TQ13 8HH
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Gidleigh Park
A cocktail aperitif before dinner
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Cranbrook, one of the three spa suites, is the most romantic, with twin roll-top baths for you both to bask in side-by-side, and a toasty-snug feature fire fitted in the wall alongside. Dartmeet, however, is also a sore temptation, given that its bathroom boasts a large marble bath, double shower, steam room and sauna. The gorgeous two-bedroom Pavilion is ideal for family stays, or for friends who want to combine the privacy of self-catering with the attentive luxury of a boutique hotel.
Leave your wellies at home – the hotel has a supply of boots and brollies for guests yomping the grounds. A guide to UK wildlife would be a worthwhile addition to your luggage – the hotel’s grounds are home to a wealth of woodland critters.
If you’re in need of anything during the day, you can pop into the Pantry on the first floor, where you can help yourself to snacks, tea, coffee, champagne and other alcoholic drinks on an honesty-bar basis. Gidleigh’s own spa water is on tap.