Style Breezy boutique beach house
Setting Private Hermanus peninsula
White wicker loungers, ostrich-feather lampshades and fresh roses contribute to creating the most tasteful of holiday terrains, especially when teamed with a plunge pool running down the centre of Birkenhead House and an infinity version out front, looking towards the sea. Set on a cliff’s edge in the Western Cape, with stunning views over two sandy beaches, Birkenhead House is a special place to watch the waves and surfers come in. Between June and November, the view includes whales, which swim right in front of the hotel. Hermanus is about a two-hour drive southeast of Cape Town.
Need to know
- Rooms 11 luxury suites.
Double rooms from AU$528.84 (ZAR4,895), excluding tax at 14 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (ZAR4,895) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include tranfers to/from Hermanus, breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks.
- Facilities Three pools, spa, gym, free WiFi throughout, off-street parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player and library, complimentary minibar.
- Check-out 11am but flexible depending on how busy it is. Check-in: 2pm.
- Children No children under 12, unless the entire property is booked for an exclusive stay. An extra bed for a third person can be added to rooms 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8 for R750.
- Also No pets. No smoking in the hotel, but a smoking area is provided.
Food and drink at Birkenhead House
- Hotel restaurant There is no restaurant as such. Snacks and meals are included in the room rate. Two menus have Thai and French influences.
- Dress code Beach casual by day, breezy sophistication by night.
- Top table The best place is next to the rim-flow pool on the front patio overlooking Walker Bay (weather permitting). Private meals may be served in the card room or, if your room allows, on its balcony.
- Last orders Breakfasts are a treat: full English and Continental are served daily 8am–10am. Mealtimes are flexible: usually, the latest you can have lunch is 4pm, and dinner about 10pm.
- Room service Snacks are provided free of charge.
- Hotel bar You can help yourself to an honesty bar day and night: a selection of quality local wines, spirits, liqueurs, beers and soft drinks.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Birkenhead House P.O.Box 1552, Hermanus, Hermanus, South Africa, 7200
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Birkenhead House
A fantastic private dinner for two
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All rooms are individually decorated, and all are luxurious. One room has an Oriental feel with Chinese yellow-silk chairs and black-lacquer wardrobes. Rooms 1 and 2 are sea-facing (1 is more spacious). Rooms 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 have balconies, as does Room 8 (albeit small) and Room 6 has a wrap-around balcony with mountain views. Rooms 3, 4, 6, 7 and 9 have sea views (6 and 10 have balconies, 9 has three). Room 5 has a plunge pool and sunken marble bath, but no sea view. 8 has a four-poster and a sea-view, but only just.
Boutique beach essentials, and binoculars for whale- and dolphin-watching.
As well as Hermanus' poster activity – whale watching – you can arrange a huge variety of activities around Birkenhead House, including scuba trips, shark diving, quad biking, coastal kayaking, surfing, para gliding, golf, and wine tasting.