Style Retro glamour
Setting Post-punk East Village
Five years ago, no one would have looked to the Bowery for Manhattan’s hottest boutique hotel, but the one-time skid row has come up trumps with this irrepressible hipster hangout. The Bowery Hotel's light, bright bedrooms capture the classic style of New York apartments (complete with moodily lit tiled corridors), and its art-deco-inspired Lobby bar is a homey, wood-panelled haven from the unsleeping city.
Need to know
- Rooms 135, including 25 suites.
Double rooms from $335.00, excluding tax at 14.75 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of $3.50 per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($335) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Breakfast is chosen from an à la carte menu.
- Facilities Gym, DVD library, valet parking, laundry, free WiFi. In rooms: HD plasma TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock and stereo system, CO Bigelow toiletries.
- Check-out Midday; later-check out is subject to availability. Check-in, 3pm.
- Children Welcome: high chairs and baby cots are available, and extra beds can be added to larger rooms for $40 a night. The Bowery works with a nanny service to provide babysitting, from $25 an hour.
- Also Non-smoking – except in the bar's patio area. As a concession to the Chihuahua-toting crowd, lightweight pets (30lbs or less) are warmly welcomed.
Food and drink at The Bowery
- Hotel restaurant With thatch-covered wine bottles swinging from beamed ceiling, distressed wood tables and a copper-topped bar, Gemma is a picture of Tuscan rusticity. The food, however, is more polished than peasanty, and the Nutella calzone is a particular treat.
- Dress code Edwardian dandy, backstage with the Ramones.
- Top table Gemma only takes reservations for hotel guests, so sweet-talk your way to a window table for people-watching, or to one of the leather-banquette booths – it’s possible to lose hours in them.
- Last orders Gemma’s pizza oven is switched off at midnight (1am weekends). The bar’s open until 2am (4am weekends).
- Room service A full menu based on Gemma’s à la carte offerings is available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Since its opening, the Lobby Bar has shot to the top of the New York hot list, becoming a favourite destination for A-listers in search of a glam-drenched venue.
The Bowery 335 The Bowery, New York, NY 10003
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Bowery
A bottle of wine
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The north-facing rooms offer glimpses of the Empire State Building from the comfort of your bed. Number 705, a One-Bedroom Terrace Suite, has a marble-tubbed bathroom that opens directly onto a surprisingly spacious private terrace. Wherever you end up bedding down, you can expect classic NYC-style, with hardwood floors lined with intricate Oushak rugs, marble bath tubs, and oversized factory windows.
A CBGB T-shirt in honour of the Bowery’s punk-rock glory days.
No smoking (apart from on the fifth floor). Your shoes can be shined and your back can be rubbed – just ask.
From the Guestbook…
come out of the front door of the bowery and turn left. 50 yards on your left is a deli/breakfast place that is superb. great coffee and really good healthy food. much better than ...more