Abacá Boutique Resort
Style Tasteful tropical base
Setting On the waterfront
Secluded, serene and so seafront you’re almost in the water, tropical island hideaway Abacá Boutique Resort teams a seductive spa with Med-influenced fine dining to romantic effect. Cool, contemporary suites showcase the work of renowned local designers (including Brad Pitt’s bed-maker) alongside ethnic touches from the Philippines' archipelago, warm, dark woods and soothing stone.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine, comprising six suites and three villas.
Double rooms from $340.00, excluding tax at 22 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($340) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include return airport transfers, welcome drink, à la carte breakfast, evening cocktail and butler service.
- Facilities Library with books and DVDs, spa, gym, kayaks, gardens, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, iPod docks with preloaded iPods and iPads on request, fridge, minibar.
- Poolside The 30m black-tiled infinity pool has a submerged seat so Smiths can cool off while gazing out across the Hilutungan Channel towards nearby Olango Island. Grass-thatched cabanas with day-beds provide welcome shade.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible subject to availability, and a small fee. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Well-travelled children are welcome (though howling horrors may be asked to keep it down). Kids eight years old and under stay for free and the hotel supplies baby cots and extra day-beds for older children gratis. Babysitting can also be arranged. More...
- Also Personalised 24-hour butler service starts when you're picked up from the airport and includes everything from newspaper delivery to ironing. Your butler can also hook you up with excursions, activities, drivers or restaurant reservations.
Food and drink at Abacá Boutique Resort
- Hotel restaurant Oceanfront Abacá restaurant offers Californian-meets-Mediterranean fine dining with a laid-back jazzy ambience and candlelit, open-air simplicity. Try Australian chef Wade Watson’s roasted dishes, straight from the wood-burning oven. The home-made bread is hard to resist, as are the cooling shakes and juices.
- Dress code Anything goes – beachwear, shorts and sandals are fine, though you might want to spruce up for evenings. The Filipinos’ love of icy air-con is noticeable by its absence here, so keep it cool and comfy.
- Top table Table 4 is a romantic spot for two; or ask staff to convert Cabana Number 1 into a dining area, for a wave-serenaded feast. To see how the magic happens, take the Chef’s Table, next to the kitchen.
- Last orders The restaurant's last sitting is at 10pm, but request private dining back at your suite terrace if you want to linger longer.
- Room service A selection from the restaurant menu is available until 12am – or later by request, but order in advance.
- Hotel bar The bar has a fine selection of single malts and plenty of the new ‘It’ drink – and owner Jason Hyatt’s personal passion – tequila (try the margaritas). There’s also an extensive list of global wines.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Abacá Boutique Resort Buot, Punta Engano Road, Macatan Island, Mactan Island, Cebu, 6015
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Abacá Boutique Resort
A bottle of sparkling wine and 10 per cent off spa treatments
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The other two villas have their own plunge pools, but the Oceanfront Spa Villa (Villa 7, or Tawhay) boasts a large balcony for private sunbathing and dining overlooking the spa and seafront.
Bring your mask and snorkel to see what a paradise the Philippines offers below the water's surface, as well as above. Divers should also pack their certification cards.
At the pretty spa, the Filipino Hilot Massage is our top tip to bliss you out. Leave room in your suitcase for Abacá’s natural spa products, which feature ingredients spanning mother-of-pearl, bamboo, walnut and even caviar.
From the Guestbook…
Loved the resort, can't recommend it highly enough. Definitely worth taking jet skis out, the personal butlers will organise for them to come to the resort beach. Also worth over t...more