- Style Discreet, distinctive, historic
- Setting Insiders' Soho
Part of the considerable charm of Hazlitt's is that, despite its central location, its success is based solely on word-of-mouth recommendations. Spread across three historic houses in the heart of Soho, it takes its name from William Hazlitt, the 18th-century essayist who lived there.
Need to know
- Rooms 30, including three deluxe doubles, two junior suites and one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $293.62 (£179), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities TV, broadband, in-house movies, Ren products, library.
- Check–out Midday, but flexible where possible.
Children Extra bed, £30; cots are free. Babysitting on request.
- Also The hotel can arrange in-room massages, beauty treatments and yoga. They’ll also help you sort out flowers and cakes for special occasions.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Most of the bedrooms have freestanding clawfooted baths, Victorian bathroom fittings and antique beds. Baron Willoughby, the junior suite, has a carved-oak bed and big rolltop bath. Jonathan Swift has a luxurious sofa and a 12-inch showerhead. The Duke of Monmouth suite has an outdoor terrace with a retractable roof and enormous water-spouting gold structure on the edge of the bath.
- Packing tips A volume of William Hazlitt's essays on city life; a quill and pot of ink to write your own.
- Also The hotel has a library where you can pick from the several books before curling up by the fireplace. There's also the Wardrobe, once used to store aristocrats' valuable, now a modern meeting space. Fledgling writers on some form of literary pilgrimage often leave a signed copy of their latest manuscript – guests can borrow these (often first-edition) books.
Food and drink at Hazlitt's
- Hotel restaurant There's no restaurant, but all of Soho's restaurants are on your doorstep. Breakfast can be served in your room, but the lure of freshly baked croissants might get you downstairs to the Library.
- Dress code 18th-century finery to match your historic surrounds.
- Room service Order in wholesome British classics like bangers and mash or a hearty pie at any hour of the day.
- Hotel bar There's an honesty bar open all hours where guests are welcome to entertain friends.