- Style Gaudí-contoured caves
- Setting Dream lava
A restored group of 300 year-old caves, once the homes, wineries and stables of fishermen and farmers, now a complex of 17 private houses. The complex is set within an amphitheatrical landscape of curves stepping down to a central stone terrace, with a pool that flows over the edge of the cliff into an Aegean horizon. Perivolas encompasses 14,000 square metres of vineyards, wild fig trees and abundant flora.
Need to know
- Rooms 19, all with sea view.
- Rates Double rooms from $541.82 (€394), excluding tax at 6.5 per cent.
- More details Rate includes Mediterranean buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, hamman, sauna and full gym.
- Poolside Infinity pool with sweeping views over the caldera.
- Check–out Midday.
Children This is a haven for grown-ups – no under-16s allowed.
- Hotel closed November until March inclusive.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Studio 8 is cosy and bright, with a balcony. Suite 15 has a big, secluded outdoor terrace. The new deluxe suite has its own Jacuzzi tub and hammam. The Perivolas Suite is extremely spacious with a hot tub big enough for ten, and a private pool.
Food and drink at Perivolas
- Hotel restaurant Only residents can enjoy the Mediterranean cuisine here. Tables are candlelit with views out to sea.
- Dress code Carefree.
- Top table The outside terrace only has six; book one by the pool. Inside, the best tables are those nearest the entrance.
- Room service Food and drinks are available until 11pm.
- Hotel bar In high season, it closes when the last person leaves.