Style Beaux Arts beauty
Setting Upper East Side
Refusing to be outdone by its Upper East Side setting, The Surrey is grand and gracious, with a restaurant, bar and spa to rival the city’s finest. This boutique hotel has lashings of glamour from top (the 17th-floor roof garden) to toe (sumptuous sink-into paisley carpets).
Need to know
- Rooms 190
Double rooms from $525.00, excluding tax at 14.75 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of $3.50 per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($525) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude Continental breakfast (US$35 each).
- Facilities Gym, spa, gardens and WiFi (US$14.95 for 24 hours). In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, minibar and Laura Tonatto products.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible, for a cost (half a day’s rate before 3pm; a full day’s rate after 6pm); earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Little Smiths are welcome, with free cots and extra beds for $40. Babysitting can be arranged, for $25 an hour (based on a four-hour minimum; there will be an extra charge for the babysitter’s transport to the hotel). More...
- Also Dogs are welcomed with their own bed, in-room treats, day-care services and grooming. Owners will need to pay US$100 and sign a waiver for canine companionship.
Food and drink at The Surrey
Café Boulud has been styled by a Parisian artist and a NY-based architect, and the decor reflects this European–American union: wood panelling, plush upholstery, neutral hues, pendant lamps with rice paper shades, coral leather chairs and white linen-dressed tables. The menu is shaped around four concepts: tradition, the season, the vegetable garden and travel. Try pan seared rib dumplings with orange-soy reduction or lavendar-honey glazed duck breast.
- Dress code Upper East Side elegance: Chanel and Hermes or clever imitations.
- Top table Sit in the banquette-lined alcove and people-watch unseen.
- Last orders Breakfast is from 7am until 10am, lunch is 12pm until 2pm and dinner is served up between 5.45pm and 10.30pm. Drinks are served in the bar from noon until midnight.
- Room service In-room treats can be ordered from the restaurant menu 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Bar Pleiades is inspired by Coco Chanel and the 1930s, with leather quilted walls, black and white lacquer finishes, French doors, banquette seating and plenty of nooks and crannies. The cocktails are just as elegant – honour your setting with a Manhattan or two. The rooftop garden, overlooking Central Park and the Upper East Side on the 17th floor, is served by a butler who’ll happily serve you drinks up here.
The Surrey 20 East 76th Street, New York 10021
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Surrey
20 per cent off selected spa treatments
Offers at The Surrey
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Ultra Deluxe Salon comes with a fireplace and a soaking tub. If you really want to splash out, opt for the Presidential Suite: a luxurious expanse with a baby grand piano, claw-foot bath tub, sauna, private terrace, and lashings of space for dining, entertaining, sleeping or all the above. Start saving now.
Bring a scent or bag by Chanel – the bar’s decor riffs on the classic designer, with leather quilted walls and monochrome.
New York's 'Museum Mile' is on your doorstep – the museums lining Fifth Avenue are some of the world's greatest cultural institutions.