Style Super-stylish manor house
Setting Gorgeous Gloucestershire gardens
One of the most stylish country-house hotels, Gloucestershire's Barnsley House is an imposing grade II-listed manor-house within 11 acres of grounds, designed by former owner Rosemary Verey, legendary gardener, designer and writer. The owners have been on a mission to chuck out the chintz, but have done so with the utmost respect for original features, adding a contemporary spa and seamlessly blending the old with the new. The muted tones of the traditional paints make a perfect backdrop to the B&B Italia square-backed swivel armchairs.
Need to know
- Rooms 18, including 11 suites.
Double rooms from $250.56 (£167), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£167) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include English breakfast.
- Facilities Landscaped gardens, tennis court, helipad, holistic spa with hydrotherapy pool, private 30-seat cinema, DVD library. In rooms, plasma-screen TV with surround-sound system, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, free broadband connection, mini fridge with complimentary water and juice. Fresh fruit and tea and coffee also available. Bikes to borrow.
- Poolside The spa – which focuses on holistic treatments – has a hydrotherapy pool. It's best to book treatments before your stay.
- Check-out Midday (5pm check-out subject to availability on payment of a £75 supplement). Check-in, 12 noon.
- Children This romantic hotel is for grown-ups only: leave the kids at home!
- Also Minimum two-night stay at weekends, including bank holiday weekends. Make sure you book ahead at the restaurant and the Village Pub.
Food and drink at Barnsley House
The secret of the Potager’s super-fresh Modern European dishes is home-grown vegetables, salad leaves and herbs plucked straight from the kitchen garden (when you see zucchini soup and deep-fried courgette flowers on the same menu, it’s easy to tell what’s ripe for the picking). Breakfast, 7.30am–10.30am (noon for room service). Tables are wooden-topped, linen napkins are rosemary-sprig-topped, and the general feel is relaxed and comfortable.
- Dress code Relaxed but stylish; leave ripped jeans and elderly T-shirts at home.
- Top table Table 4, in the bay window.
- Last orders Food: 9.30pm Monday to Thursday; 10pm Friday and Saturday. Bar opens late for guests. Breakfast is available between 8am and 10am (till 10.30am on weekends). Lunch 12pm to 2pm (till 2.30pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- Room service Food can be ordered while the kitchen is open (8am–10pm); they may be able to rustle up snacks out of hours.
The cosy country-style bar is warm, woody and willowy, and is open until late for guests.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Barnsley House Barnsley House, Barnsley, Cirencester, Cotswolds, Gloucestershire GL7 5EE
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Barnsley House
A Barnsley House champagne cocktail each – or a glass of champagne in the Village Pub across the road – on each night of your stay
Current offers at Barnsley House
Offers at Barnsley House
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Bathrooms are a big draw here, with features such as roll-top baths, twin sinks, walk-through showers and flatscreen TVs. Room 1 has two bathtubs, side by side; Room 2 has a Jacuzzi. Room 8 has a sitting room, and Room 7 has its own conservatory and garden. Stableyard Rooms are attractive duplexes with upstairs bathrooms and wet rooms.
CDs or iPod, tennis kit, swimming costume (for the spa's hydrotherapy pool).
There are occasionally afternoon or evening film screenings; you can also hire the cinema, from £200 for three hours. Consult the purple book in your room to see what DVDs are available to borrow.
From the Guestbook…
Wow. Barnsley House is the ideal place for a chic country weekend break. We spent a memorable Mother's Day evening and enjoyed all the facilities. Even the babysitter was superb. S...more