The New White Lion
- Style Impeccable low-key glamour
- Setting Little town of Llandovery
Kathryn and David, owners of The New White Lion hotel in Llandovery are determined to introduce guests to the local rural splendour they adore so passionately, creating a luxurious base from which country-lovers can explore Carmarthenshire and the Brecon Beacons national park.
Need to know
- Rooms Six, named after local characters and legends.
- Rates Double rooms from $163.45 (£100), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include full Welsh breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, private parking. In rooms, flatscreen TV, Egyptian cotton sheets, Clarins toiletries.
- Check–out 12 noon (but flexible, subject to availability); earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children The New White Lion is more of an adults' escape – children over 12 are welcome in their own rooms; extra beds are not available.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Physicians of Myddfai (Room 1) is the largest, with an ornately carved headboard, feathered lamps and a big corner bath. All the other individually decorated rooms are stylishly furnished, with ensuite power showers, but we particularly like elegant Lady of the Lake (Room 2), with its pale and interesting decor.
- Packing tips Sensible shoes for yomping up mountains and biking along mountain tracks. Or a good book, if you're not the outdoorsy sort.
- Also The hotel hosts monthly evening events in the ‘salon’ vein, featuring traditional folk singers, storytellers, local musicians and Welsh cuisine.
Food and drink at The New White Lion
- Hotel restaurant The smartly styled Dining Room is open for breakfast and dinner – expect a resolutely seasonal, local, organic menu, including dishes such as chateubriand, pan-fried langoustines or asparagus risotto.
- Dress code Thrown-together favourites, with shiny embellishments for dinner.
- Top table One of the back-wall tables on either side of the fireplace.
- Last orders Dinner is served 7pm–9.30pm.
- Room service None, but with a little warning they can rustle up something for you.
- Hotel bar The Brianne Bar in the lounge is open from midday till the last guest heads to bed; help yourselves to the honesty bar and pull up an armchair in front of the stone fireplace.