Royal Davui Island Resort
- Style Casual take on tropical
- Setting Bijou island in Beqa Lagoon
If the button-cute private island, ivory-white shores and pure blue sea at casual, adults-only sanctuary Royal Davui Island Resort in Fiji don't knock your dive socks off, then the adrenaline-rush scuba action will. We love the laid-back pool scene, tree-entwined outdoor restaurant and hedonistic happy hour for cocktail sessions.
Need to know
- Rooms 15 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $935.23 (AU$1,024), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include all meals, freshly baked loaf of banana bread on arrival, sunset canapés and entertainment each evening, weekly beach barbecue and kava ceremony, non-motorised watersports and select activities.
- Facilities Spa, watersports centre with dive shop, CD and DVD library, boutique, free WiFi in main bar/restaurant and library, gardens. In rooms: iHome music system, pillow menu, minibar with cookies and cakes, Fijian coffee, Jacuzzi spa bath, open-air shower, Pure Fiji toiletries, private deck with plunge pool.
- Poolside Wander down the steps from the restaurant, and you'll reach the curvy, palm-fringed outdoor pool, surrounded with shady loungers (just run the SOS Emergency Cocktail flag up the pole if you're feeling thirsty). Soak up rays and sea views, safe in the knowledge that the only likely stress here is of the coconut-falling-on-head variety.
- Check–out 10am, flexible subject to availability. Check-out, 1pm.
Children The hotel is a romantic adults-only escape, so leave the kids at home.
- Eco‐friendly Royal Davui strives for 'responsible luxury', serving regional produce to support the local community. Bedroom vales were built from sustainable timber and have been positioned to avoid cutting down old-growth trees, with all wastewater recycled to use on the garden. The hotel is also mindful of impacting on the surrounding reef eco-system, which is a marine sanctuary.
- Also Free activities include use of kayaks, catamarans, paddle boards, snorkelling gear and guided island snorkelling tours (diving costs extra).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All vales are spacious, modern and embrace the outdoors, with Jacuzzi spa baths, louvred roofs, glass doors giving onto sun-decks, and plunge pools. For sunset sea views opt for a seductive Premium Plunge Pool Villa on the west side of the island. Spa fiends may prefer the Island Pool Villas nearest the spa, best for access to the southern beach. For sensational 360° lagoon views and a generous outdoor dining deck, you can't beat the romantic Royal Davui Pool Suite.
- Packing tips Bring clothes that can double as a fancy dress costume, as Davui likes to throw a party (during Smith's stay Halloween turned the bar into a sea of flamboyant vampires and ghouls). On a practical note, you'll find a torch, mossie repellent and a woven beach bag in your room, so no need to bring your own.
- Also There's a small Pure Fiji spa here for pampering (try the Dilo Rescue Wrap if you get sunburned), but it's hard to tear yourself away from beach lounging and ocean ogling. Look out for the Davui Daily newsletter at turndown, which lists spa treats, the menu and tide times for the following day.
Food and drink at Royal Davui Island Resort
- Hotel restaurant Flaunting outdoor wooden decks embraced by a majestic, ancient banyan tree, the Banyan Restaurant & Bar perches on a platform near reception and is airy, inviting and informal. You can dine undercover at the back of the space, but we reckon it's more atmospheric eating alfresco. Sea views come as a standard, with modern Pacific dishes to match, including local, seasonal produce and lip-smacking kokoda - Fiji's answer to ceviche.
- Dress code Chilled out by day, glammed up by night, but the mood is pretty casual.
- Top table Score any table on the deck facing the sea. The pick of the bunch is the one right at the front that boasts its own individual platform. Romantics can request dining in-room or on the beach.
- Last orders Dinner is served until 10pm, which is also when the bar calls it a night. Don't miss happy hour from 5pm to 6pm, segueing to evening canapés from 6pm to 7pm.
- Room service If you fancy the privacy of your villa deck, room service is available from 7am to 10pm. Enjoy toast, cereal and fruit for breakfast, order off the menu for lunch or dinner, or get a gourmet picnic hamper delivered anywhere on the island.
- Hotel bar Occupying the beating heart of the restaurant, the Banyan Bar is a funky, tropical affair, surrounded with stools for sociable sips and flanked by lounging sofas and chairs. Freshen up with a Banyan Punch, or try a how-very-dare-you Kava Bloody Mary, guaranteed to make your lips go numb. Bands often play at night, so expect a mix of Pacific sounds with a reggae twist.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details