Round Hill Hotel & Villas
- Style Polo-inspired plantation
- Setting Rolling greens on Montego Bay
Round Hill Hotel & Villas in Jamaica was built as a colony of cottages for the rich, famous and glamorous of the 1950s. Today, not much has changed: the family-friendly resort’s shore-side pool villas, perfect spa and Ralph Lauren-designed suites make it the Caribbean hotspot of choice for wannabe JFKs and Jackie Os.
Need to know
- Rooms 124, including 88 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $479.00, excluding tax at 25 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional room tax of $4.00 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include use of the kids’ club and non-motorised watersports, but exclude breakfast ($25 for full American-style breakfast).
- Facilities Spa with seven treatment rooms; five tennis courts; beauty salon; library; gardens; gym free WiFi throughout. In rooms: iPod dock, minibar, Round Hill toiletries.
- Poolside The unheated outdoor infinity pool is made with 18th-century stone, and has views of Round Hill’s bay. The spa has an adults-only pool.
- Check–out 12pm, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Very welcome. There is a free kids’ club, as well as a teen centre. Baby cots are $75 per night. Babysitting is available for $10 an hour at a minimum of three hours. The restaurants are child-friendly and all offer extensive children’s menus.
- Hotel closed Early September to early October.
- Also Golfers can tee up at Tryall Golf Club, the Caribbean’s best course; Round Hill can make reservations and provides a free shuttle there and back. Smoking is only permitted outdoors at the beach, the pool and in the gardens.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Some rooms are in the Pineapple House, and are decorated by Ralph Lauren. The second-level Villa Suites in Pineapple House are closest to the beach, and offer the best sea views and ocean soundtrack. Of the Villas, the five-bedroom Luxury Villa 18 has its own pool and bar, and can be rented as a whole or separated into five one-bedroom villa suites, each filled with local art, rattan bar stools and mahogany four-poster beds. The six-bedroom Luxury Villa 16 is the most luxurious with Anglo-Caribbean decor, white linens and colourful cotton fabrics.
- Packing tips No need to lug snorkelling gear: the hotel has plenty of fins and snorkels for guests.
- Also The grounds are impeccably maintained. Get a closer look during tours offered each Friday afternoon by the head gardener. The tour includes a peek at the garden of rare tropical orchids. The Spa at Round Hill is set in a restored 18th-century house over 10 acres by the Caribbean Sea, and offers treatments using local lemongrass, botanicals from the grounds and stones plucked from the ocean. Overcome the previous night’s rum cocktails with the hangover massage, which diffuses toxins using Jamaican sweet basil.
Food and drink at Round Hill Hotel & Villas
- Hotel restaurant Chef Martin Maginley and his team harvest organic vegetables from the gardens to prepare contemporary Caribbean dishes at the Grill five nights a week. The other two nights are themed dinners: on Mondays, the hotel hosts a beach barbecue with a calypso band; on Fridays, a jerk-spiced Jamaican buffet is on offer on the terrace, with reggae, dancing or other entertainment.
- Dress code Sandals and kaftans are ideal for beachy meals, but trousers and long dresses are best for dinner at the Grill.
- Top table Choose a table facing the water to catch the best ocean views and cool breezes.
- Last orders The Grill serves breakfast between 7.30am and 10.30am, then dinner service is from 7.30pm until 9.30pm. The pool and beach bars are open from 10am until 5pm and 6pm respectively for lunch and snacks.
- Room service A full menu of salads, sandwiches and child-friendly specials is available for delivery from 7.30am until 9.30pm every day.
- Hotel bar Three. The Ralph Lauren Cocktail Bar, designed by Phillipe Starck, mixes tropical cocktails and a 500-bin wine list with snacks. The Pool Bar and Beach Bar are both open throughout the day, serving snacks and a cocktail menu of daiquiris, punches and rum drinks.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details