- Style Chic renovated palazzo
- Setting Bustling Via del Babuino
This three-storey renovated palazzo has a quiet elegance that belies its city-central location near the Spanish Steps, with luxurious but understated suites decorated in earthy hues. Returning to Babuino 181 hotel after adventures in Rome is like having your own high-end apartment, and there’s a city-savvy concierge to boot.
Need to know
- Rooms 24, including six suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $199.37 (€145), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional government tax of €2.00 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude a Continental breakfast buffet of home-made pastries, local cheeses and cold cuts, hardboiled eggs, fruit salad, fresh juice and tea or coffee (€18 a person).
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, minibar and Nespresso machine.
- Check–out 11am, but can be later for €100. Earliest check-in, from 2pm.
Children Little Smiths are welcome here. Cots can be added free; extra beds are €50. The hotel can organise babysitting for €25 an hour (with half a day’s notice).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Rooms are similar in terms of furnishings and facilities; what distinguishes them is location. Room 105 is a Deluxe Suite on the corner of the building, with views of both Via Margutta and Via del Babuino. Room 302, the Babuino Suite, is fit for families; with two rooms, a guest toilet and a lounge area with space for two single beds.
- Packing tips Leave your washbag at home – bathrooms are stocked with sensual Comfort Zone products in big bottles. Don’t worry if you forget your adaptors; the hotel has some you can borrow.
- Also Close to the hotel is the eponymous ‘babuino’ – one of Rome’s 'talking statues', nicknamed ‘the baboon’ for its grotesque appearance. The fountain is next to the Chiesa di Sant’Atanasio dei Greci, on Via del Babuino.
Food and drink at Babuino 181
- Hotel restaurant There’s no restaurant or bar, just a host of local eateries to choose from, spanning casual pizza joints and Italian fine dining. The rooftop terrace serves Continental breakfast, and guests can pick a free cocktail each from the extensive menu after 6pm.
- Dress code Euro-flash: cashmere and silks in capuccino and chocolate hues.
- Room service Stock up on in-room treats from the local delis, as the hotel doesn’t offer room service.
- Hotel bar None, but plenty nearby – try the Art Studio Cafe (+39 06 326 09104; www.artstudiocafe.it) at 187a Via Dei Gracchi. Alternatively, raid the minibar for plonk and snacks if you want to stay in.