Style Lavish Left Bank boudoir
Setting Arty Saint-Germain
It may be the place where Oscar Wilde quipped his last, but opulent boutique hotel L’Hôtel, on Paris’ arty Left Bank, is so much more than a fin-de-siècle relic. With a glamorous underground pool, a Michelin-starred restaurant and a bar beloved of the French capital’s style set, it is as much of a destination stay as ever.
Need to know
- Rooms The hotel has 20 rooms, four of which are suites. Rooms are divided into Mignon, Bijou, Chic and Grand categories. The Apartment is a large suite with its own private terrace.
Double rooms from $435.16 (€336), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€336) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Breakfast is an additional €18 a person.
- Facilities Indoor pool, spa treatments on request, steam room, library, CD/DVD library, free WiFi, laundry service. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, air-conditioning, minibar.
- Poolside Guests can book time in the lovely subterranean pool, and staff will light candles around its edge so they can bob and float in the most peaceful environment imaginable.
- Check-out Midday, though this is flexible for a fee (50 per cent of the room cost). Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Kids are welcome at L’Hôtel. Cots (€35 a night) and extra beds (€50 a night) are available, and a babysitting service is provided.
- Also The hotel is happy to accommodate small, well behaved pets.
Food and drink at L'Hôtel
Le Restaurant offers Michelin-starred seasonal French cuisine in a dark and romantic salon. Chef Philippe Bélissent prepares delights such as Lozère lamb with pumpkin, sweet chestnuts and salsify, and a marinated carpaccio of scallops with caviar for an adoring army of foodie fans. Reserve your table ahead – it's often fully booked two or three weeks in advance.
- Dress code Smart with a hint of loucheness – think taffeta dresses and your best jacket.
- Top table Ask for a table in the corner, so you can discreetly observe the comings and goings of your fellow diners. If the weather is fine, a place out on the small patio is a must.
- Last orders Dinner is served till 10pm; in the bar, drinks are poured until 1am.
- Room service Snacks and light meals are available from 7.30am to 11pm.
Next to the restaurant, the hotel bar is a decadent space of leopard-print carpets, Italian marble columns, black tables, and grey velvet chairs and banquettes. Le 13s (champagne cocktails made with violet liqueur and lime) are served up throughout the evening to a laid-back jazz-lounge soundtrack.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
L'Hôtel 13 rue des Beaux-Arts, 75006 Paris
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at L'Hôtel
Either a glass of champagne each or, if you choose to eat in the restaurant, a bottle of wine selected by the maître d'.
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All 20 theatrical rooms have been individually decorated, and are inspired by a famous visitor to the hotel. We particularly love the art deco Mistinguette Room, which features the music-hall legend’s own bed and dressing table, and the Oscar Wilde Suite, where demands for payment of his hotel bill have been framed on the walls. His last words – ‘either that wallpaper goes, or I do’ – have, you’ll be glad to know, been heeded.
Bring a notebook in which to jot down your existential musings as you take coffee at nearby Café de Flore or Les Deux Magots.
L’Hôtel wears its arty heritage on its paint-stained sleeve; original Jean Cocteau drawings hang in the lobby.
From the Guestbook…
This is a lovely hotel, really beautiful, and the area of St Germain des Pres is a lovely mix of antique shops and packed bars. I had a room on the fourth floor facing the street w...more