- Style Globetrotting glamour
- Setting Sophisticated Saint-Germain
Hôtel Récamier is a petite B&B on the Left Bank in Paris, with cosy rooms overlooking Place Saint-Sulpice. It's six storeys of traditional townhouse, with fancy fixtures, wrought-iron balconies and fashionable fabrics. Space may be limited, but the hotel makes up for it with sophistication – and it’s oh so chic, naturally.
Need to know
- Rooms 24.
- Rates Double rooms from $249.80 (€182), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€10–€18).
- Facilities Terrace, gym, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock and bottled water.
- Check–out 12pm, but flexible for half a day's rate. Check-in, 2pm (earlier if the room is available).
Children Cots for babies are free; extra beds cost €50 a night. A local nanny can take over for €18 an hour, given half a day’s notice.
- Also In-room beauty treatments and massages can be arranged.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Each of the rooms has been decadently dressed with exotic furniture and textured trimmings; all have canopied beds. Room 42 triumphs in size and has a chocolate, cream and beige palette, with a striped canopy over the bed, an ornate gold mirror and tactile wallpaper. We also like Room 64 on the sixth floor, which is smaller, but has a balcony overlooking Place Saint-Sulpice. For family stays, each floor has a pair of rooms that can be connected to form a suite. If you prefer a bath tub to a walk-in shower, book a Classic or Club room.
- Packing tips Sunglasses, scarves and stilettos to keep up with the super chic of Saint-Germain.
- Also Between 4pm and 6pm, there's afternoon tea in the lounge. Soft drinks and snacks will also be available.
Food and drink at Hôtel Récamier
- Hotel restaurant There’s no restaurant, but a Continental breakfast is put on in the homey lounge every morning – guests help themselves from the old-fashioned dresser. Between 4pm and 6pm, free soft drinks and snacks are served.
- Dress code Nothing leopard-print: you might clash with the carpet.
- Top table Squeeze into the cosy den off the main lounge, and bag one of the brown-velvet sofas or gold-leather armchairs arranged around the fireplace. In summer, step out with your drinks amid the bamboo on the terrace.
- Last orders It’s a relaxed affair: breakfast runs from 7.30am till 10.30am or 11am; drinks at the bar are available from early evening until around 10.30pm.
- Room service A menu of omelettes, cheese platters and sophisticated main meals – sauté of veal or duo of prawns and scallops – is available until 11pm.
- Hotel bar Guests can kick back at the little bar in the breakfast lounge, where a waiter serves drinks in the evenings.