Crosby Street Hotel
- Style Plucky charm
- Setting Cobbled SoHo streets
Firmdale’s kitsch-but-classy classic-meets-contemporary English elegance has landed in Manhattan. As you’d expect from anything Firmdale, as well as it dripping in Kit Kemp’s special blend of inspired fabrics, textured wallcoverings and colourful artworks, Crosby Street Hotel has a fabulous bar-restaurant. The socialising spills out of this chic space onto a patio on Lafayette Street as well as a central foliage-filled residents-only courtyard. And don’t think the fun stops there – downstairs in the basement event space, there’s even a zingy orange-leather Poltrona Frau-seated screening room.
Need to know
- Rooms 86, including 17 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $525.00, excluding tax at 14.75 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional room tax of $3.50 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, $20 each.
- Facilities Screening room, gym, garden, DVD, CD and book library, free WiFi throughout, valet parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock, minibar, free bottled water, Miller Harris products.
- Check–out 11am, but later may be possible. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
Children This hotel is better suited to couples.
- Eco‐friendly Crosby Street has been certified by the US Green Building council – one of the first NYC hotels to be so. There’s a kitchen garden on the roof, and there are plans to keep chickens up there too.
- Also Check with the hotel if you can’t bear to be without your beasts – Crosby Street generally welcomes pets. Love movies? Sign up for the Sunday night film club in the 99-seat screening room.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Each room is a one of a kind, individually designed with Kit Kemp’s signature style of tactile contemporary colours. We’re loathe to push one room over another, and staff like to make sure that repeat guests get to stay in a different room each time – not a policy we’d quibble with. However, the Junior Suites on the 10th and 11th floors have a winning combination of height and huge warehouse windows, giving them some of the best views in southern Manhattan.
- Packing tips Perhaps ‘forget’ to pack your washbag – the bespoke Le Jardin 10012 bathroom products by London perfumer Miller Harris make fabulous, fragrant souvenirs.
- Also Downstairs in the basement, there’s a screening room available to hire whenever you fancy a private showing.
Food and drink at Crosby Street Hotel
- Hotel restaurant Oak-floored, pewter-countered and opening onto a lovely courtyard garden, the Crosby Bar is the hotel’s sociable heart, serving Modern American dishes such as cheddar mac and cheese, smoked salmon on sourdough and the Crosby burger made with three cuts of beef. In homage to the hotel’s British roots, the afternoon tea is excellent.
- Dress code Pattern-free YSL or Calvin Klein – no point competing with the decor.
- Top table In the courtyard in summer, by the courtyard in winter.
- Last orders There’re a 24-hour menu of brasserie-style bites.
- Room service The Crosby Bar is open from dawn to dusk and then some, with food served from 7am to 11pm.
- Hotel bar The jaunty, jazzy huge and high-ceilinged space is a something-for-everyone spot, whether you’re after a champagne breakfast, a late-afternoon beer or an early-hours martini. We especially love the Bakelite phone/lamp hybrid artwork.