- Cityscape Fresh-air fairytale
- City life Nordic cool
A network of 14 islands on the edge of the Baltic, Stockholm is cool, vibrant yet laid-back, and everything works beautifully – in terms of function and aesthetics.
Graffiti is classified as ‘street art’, frumpy or clunky design is a rarity, and the city is as safe and clean as it is hip and cosmopolitan. You’ll come back poorer, but cooler and more chilled – skål!
Do go/Don’t go
In winter, the city gets just five hours of daylight. At weekends in July, it can be very quiet as everybody heads to their summer-island properties.
- Planes Arlanda Airport is 40km from the centre. The 45-min Flygbussarna bus service costs SEK 100. If you end up flying into Skavsta airport | a bus into Stockholm takes an hour and a half.
- Trains A 20-min Arlanda Express Train costs SEK 180 and takes you into Stockholm Central Station. From here you can access Stockholm’s underground, called the Tunnelbana.
- Automobiles A taxi costs SEK 400. A car is only an advantage if you want to leave the city centre.
- Taxis You can hail cabs on the street; taxi's aren't cheap but they do, handily, accept payment by debit and credit card (including AmEx).