- Coastline: Unspoilt Aegean paradise
- Coast life: Laid-back island time
Over Santorini? Meet its sister island, the quiet and less touristy Folegandros, less than an hour away by catamaran.
The sun-baked, treeless isle – where goats are rife and traditional tavernas abundant – has all the stunning Aegean vistas and secluded sandy beaches you need for a Greek island getaway par excellence.
Do go/Don’t go
Much of the island shuts up shop for winter. Summer is the busiest season, when island-hopping holidaymakers hotfoot it to the Cyclades… but Folegandros is one of the archipelago’s less visited destinations, so you shouldn’t find yourself surrounded by crowds.
- Planes The most convenient airport is on Santorini, 45 minutes from Folegandros via boat and 18 minutes away by helicopter. Fly to Santorini National Airport (www.santorini-airport.com) from international destinations including London, Manchester, Rome, Paris and Barcelona.
- Boats Boat journeys from the port of Piraeus in Athens take from four to six hours; the daily catamaran connection from Santorini takes less than an hour. There are also daily boat connections between Folegandros and neighbouring islands.
- Automobiles Renting a car (or a scooter) is the ideal way to explore the island.