Les Granges d'en Haut
Style Valley chalet village
Setting Classic Chamonix
On the mountainside above the village of Les Houches, Les Granges d’en Haut has one of the finest views of the Chamonix valley. The dramatic peaks of the Mont Blanc Massif rise up from the valley and offer some of the best skiing and hiking in Europe. Les Granges is a hamlet of 14 beautiful chalets, each offering style, service and comfort of the highest order. Guests can enjoy the central restaurant, lounge bar and fabulous Vinotherapie by Caudalie spa, and can book a self-catered chalet or indulge in a fully-catered stay. Whatever you decide, the experience will be as perfect as the panorama.
Need to know
- Rates information €900–€1,360 a night for a two-bedroom chalet (minimum three-night stay); €1,050–€12,600 for a three-bedroom, and €1,200–€14,900 for a four-bedroom. Rates increase by €200 a night over the weekend. A chalet for a week costs from €5,950 to €12,240, self-catering.
- Ideal for Wonderfully varied skiing in the Chamonix valley, a long weekend break and the option of a hotel-style restaurant, bar and spa on your doorstep
- Sleeps Each of the 14 chalets sleeps up to eight guests.
- Minimum hire In peak season the minimum hire is a week, but three-night breaks are available off-peak during the summer and winter. The change-over day is normally Saturday.
- Children Welcome. Car seats, cots, children’s cutlery and highchairs can all be provided, and nannies and baby-sitters can be arranged. PlayStations are available on request.
- Booking process A 30 per cent deposit will be taken upon booking, with the full amount due 30 days before arrival. A Smith deposit will also be taken.
- Also Guests may use Les Granges’ Vinotherapie by Caudalie spa, fitness room, restaurant and lounge bar. Pets are allowed for €25 each a day.
- Each of the 14 traditional yet contemporary chalets has a similar layout. All are south-east facing with breathtaking views of Mont Blanc, and the balconies get the sun in the morning.
Bedroom 1: this room on the top floor is the master bedroom and faces south-east, with fabulous views from the private balcony. There’s an en suite bathroom and the room has a flat-screen TV.
Bedroom 2: this smaller rear-facing room has an en suite shower room.
Bedroom 3: this lower-ground floor bedroom also faces south-east. The room has an en suite bathroom and a terrace.
Bedroom 4: this ground floor room shares the terrace with Bedroom 3. It is not en suite but a separate shower room is just down the corridor.
- Kitchen The kitchen is fully equipped and has granite surfaces, a Krups coffee machine, halogen hob, oven and microwave. You can prepare your own meals or opt for the easy life and book a professional chef. Alternatively, dine at Les Granges’ elegant restaurant.
- Living room Flat-screen TV, DVD with a library of films, and comfy sofas. The contemporary fireplace can be prepared for you each day. The balcony has a 180-degree vista across the valley.
- Dining room The large dining table next to the fireplace comfortably seats all eight guests. The smaller dining area, outside on the balcony, seats six.
- Poolside Les Granges’ spa is a real treat. It has an indoor pool, sauna, hammam, steam room and several spa cabins, and stunning views over the mountains. An extensive range of treatments are available, too.
- Gardens The chalets do not have private gardens but Les Granges is surrounded by the landscaped mountainside and Alpine forest.
- Private parking Each chalet has one or two underground parking spaces.
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Les Granges d'en Haut
A bottle of champagne on arrival; GoldSmith members also get an après-ski aperitif served in the chalet on the day of their choice
In the know
Eating and drinking
Les Granges is available on a self-catered basis. Breakfast is delivered to your chalet every morning. There is a fantastic restaurant with private dining areas and a terrace. Each chalet has a fully equipped kitchen and dining area and a private chef can be provided. Hampers of mouth-watering local produce are available as part of room service. Supermarket: Chamonix doesn’t have any large hypermarkets but there are Casino supermarkets on Rue Paccard and in Gallerie Alpina. A smaller Supermarché U is on Le Borgeat in Les Houches (Monday to Saturday: 08h15–12h15 and 15h–19h30; Sunday: closed). Off licence: Le Vinophile at 278 rue du Docteur Paccard (+33 (0)6 08 37 49 19) has a wide selection of wines and will deliver to your chalet. Deli: Refuge Payot on rue Joseph Vallot in Chamonix (+33 (0)4 50 53 18 71; www.refugepayot.com).
Each chalet receives a housekeeping service every day. Additional services are available on request.
There is a CD player in the sitting room. Les Granges d’en Haut has a central concierge to organise activities and services. There’s a restaurant, lounge bar and spa available to guests. The spa has private cabins, a hammam, sauna and a pool, and offers a wide range of beauty treatments. Room service is available and comes in the shape of hampers full of fresh local produce. Professional chefs are also available to prepare meals for you in your chalet.
Bed linen, towels, bathrobes, toiletries, firewood. A private shuttle to the ski area is also provided. Breakfast, afternoon tea and gourmet dinner are available if the chalet is taken fully catered.
Bring some powerful binoculars. The views of the peaks and glaciers will be even more spectacular.