Style Georgian with a French frisson
Setting Pretty Burnham Market
Seven-room Vine House hotel near the North Norfolk coast has a little garden, a pretty drawing room and French-influenced decor. Walls are dressed with delicate pastel shades, the furniture is decadent and vintage, and there are touches of gold leaf. For food, drink and spa treatments, the Vine House’s sister – the Hoste – is just across the road, all crackling fires and attentive barmen.
Need to know
- Rooms Seven.
Double rooms from $222.64 (£142), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£142) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast (full English or Continental).
- Facilities Garden, drawing rooms with books, magazines and games; free WiFi in the lounge. In rooms: flatscreen TV, radio, minibar and Arran Aromatics bath products. Guests can use the Hoste Beauty Spa, just across the road.
- Check-out 11am. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Leave the little ones at home – this hotel is for Mr & Mrs only.
Food and drink at Vine House
The Hoste over the road performs dining duties with several different areas serving lunch and dinner, including a wood-panelled restaurant, snug bar, conservatory, lounge, a lovely new Garden Room and charming Dining Lodge. There’s also a private dining room downstairs in the wine cellar. Head chef Gemma Arnold is the brilliant, Norfolk-born chef who turns out very pretty plates, featuring the best local produce – be it the tian of Cromer crab with piquillo peppers, cucumber noodles and white tomato sorbet – or Norfolk pork belly served with sage and onion gnocchi, apple puree and seasonal vegetables.
- Dress code The important thing is that you’re relaxed: corduroy and cashmere will do very nicely. Splashes of field-green and Broads-blue will match the setting.
- Top table Take afternoon tea in the conservatory for a quieter dining experience, or grab at table in the Hoste's wood-panelled restaurant.
- Last orders At the Hoste, breakfast is available between 7.30am and 10.30am; lunch is plated up between 12 noon and 2.30pm; dinner is served between 6pm and 9.30pm.
Drink where Lord Nelson used to (regularly) whet his whistle, in the Hoste’s cosy bar. You’re unlikely to see off-duty Continental conquerors here these days, but you will find expertly mixed cocktails, plenty of local ales, shelves full of books, a working fireplace and nut-brown leather seating. You can also request pre-dinner drinks in the Vine House’s elegant drawing room.
Vine House Vine House, C/o The Hoste Arms, The Green, Burnham Market, King's Lynn, Norfolk PE31 8HD
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Vine House
The Hoste's cookery book, A Hoste of Recipes
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We love Room 57 for its olive and grey Zoffany wallpaper, ornate gold mirror opposite the bed and mint-blue sofa – but most of all for its bathroom: the floral-print tiles by the roll-top bath make us want to take our clothes off and soak for hours. Pretty powder-blue-and-cream Room 54 is noteworthy for its sense of space.
Leave your wellies behind – the hotel has its own stash hidden in the cupboard under the stairs. Bring slippers or bed socks to truly feel at home. And, remember your swimwear for the hot tub at the Hoste Beauty Spa across the street.
The Hoste has the world’s largest Aga residing in its kitchens – it was designed specially for the hotel and boasts built-in smokers and high-temperature planchas (most importantly, it means the food is very nice).