Style Blue-blooded beauty
Setting Rhode Island harbourside
Vanderbilt Grace, a red-brick Gilded Age mansion in Newport's Historic Hill neighbourhood exudes bygone-day charm. The decor, however, is anything but antiquated; cool modern design rules. Two shimmering pools, a spotless spa and an illustrative art collection can also be found among the lemon trees.
Need to know
- Rooms 33, including 29 suites.
Double rooms from $425.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($425) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include a Continental breakfast, and an à la carte menu is also available.
- Facilities Gym with steam showers, sauna, spa with treatment rooms, library of books and DVDs, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, minibar, coffeemaker, kitchenette with mini-fridge and microwave, Penhaligon's bath products.
- Poolside There are two heated pools: a lap pool indoors, and a little plunge pool lined with deckchairs near the terrace outside.
- Check-out 12pm, but flexible, subject to availability and, sometimes, a half-day charge. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Under-10s stay free; older children are $50 extra per night. Free baby cots can be provided in the Junior Suite 46sq m and larger rooms. There’s no babysitting and no kids’ menu, but the chef will prepare special child-friendly dishes on request.
- Also In-room spa treatments are available. Furry friends are welcome in designated pet-friendly rooms, for a fee of US$50–US$100, based on size.
Food and drink at Vanderbilt Grace
The log-fire-warmed dining room in Muse is sophisticated with a gorgeous grand piano. Chef Jonathan Cartwright has devised dishes such as saffron risotto with butternut squash and baked goats cheese, and medallions of local venison with roasted chestnuts and sweet potatoes. The casual Terrace Grill serves seasonal, simple fare.
- Dress code Great Gatsby glam, pearls and drop-waist dresses and tailored suits for dinner; don’t forget sweaters and wraps for chilly evenings.
- Top table In cooler months, pick a table closest to the fire. When it’s warm opt for a terrace table near the pool.
- Last orders Breakfast is 7.30am–11am; lunch is 11.30am–2pm; and dinner is served up 6pm–10pm, after that there’s the minibar to crack into. Cocktails are shaken until 11pm on quiet nights and 1am on weekends.
- Room service Order from the Muse or Terrace Grill’s Americana menus between 7.30am and 10pm.
Soundtracked by a live ivory-tickler or gentle jazz, the bar in Muse is a quiet spot to sip a cocktail – staff can shake up anything you can name, but try the Grace – a zingy blend of vodka, fruit juices and lemongrass.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Vanderbilt Grace 41 Mary Street, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Vanderbilt Grace
A signature Grace cocktail each
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The airy Vanderbilt Suite has a fully equipped kitchen brimming with cocktail gadgets, cooking utensils and everything you could possibly need to whip up a feast. The dining table seats four, and there are sofas and chairs aplenty. Room 203 is our favourite of the Junior Deluxe Suites, with gleaming hardwoods and a high-ceilinged lounging space. Some rooms have bath tubs – request when booking.
A mini spyglass to scan the shoreline for coves to explore. Leave enough room in your bag for seashells and maybe a model yacht.
Judy and Laurence Cutler of the National Museum of American Illustration have curated the American illustrative art collection – full of wistful watercolours and drawings – one of the most valuable in America.